• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where to place the Amp???

Mommyof02

SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
Where is a good place to put my Amp in the Beast??  I just got a under the seat sub box and there is no room there to place my amp.  ???

If sub takes up entire under seat then really not much space left except maybe behind seat on midgate.

Most under seat only take up one side so you can locate amp on other side.

Mommyof02 said:
Where is a good place to put my Amp in the Beast??  I just got a under the seat sub box and there is no room there to place my amp.  ???

I was able to modify the two sub woofer box to add my amp under the seat in the middle.  There is a thread out here for it, I will try to find it.

Mommyof02 said:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,138564.msg2016677.html#msg2016677

Take a look

I added my amplifer to the back of the seat. not wanting to chop up my seat backs I removed the screws got longer compatible ones at lowes, mounted a board to the seat using these new screws and mounted the amps to the board. Now I can remove the boards and never know there is an amp there...

I also have an under seat box but I plan to move everything so I didn't want to permanent mount the amps. I also have a board I made to fit where the window mounts in the midgate for more amplifiers but probably won't use it. I used a dry erase board but it is pretty flimsy and not liking how it turned out. The hardwood board I am using on the seat backs though works nicely. I painted mine black.

Rodney

So I was at car tunes a couple of weeks ago. (Local car audio shop). And I saw the kicker cx300.1? it was extremely tiny like 8 inches x 8 inches depending on which amp you got and how big it is I would put it underneath one of the removable trays inside the center console.

xoutofmyheadx said:
So I was at car tunes a couple of weeks ago. (Local car audio shop). And I saw the kicker cx300.1? it was extremely tiny like 8 inches x 8 inches depending on which amp you got and how big it is I would put it underneath one of the removable trays inside the center console.

You will find there is not any room there.... Unless you want to remove your cupholders there is not room underneath them to mount anything of any height. If you are willing to mount behind the front pockets of the console you could modify it but you could also do what I did...

Since I have subs under the rear seats I removed the subwoofer from the console front. Since the console got REAL flimsy with the BOSE subwoofer box removed I found I could cut out the front and bottom of the subwoofer and open it up and it still retained enough strength to keep the console sturdy. I mounted my BOSE amplifier in the rear of the speaker box but in the next couple weeks I am removing the BOSE amplifier all together and running the wires directly to the amplifiers. I will be putting a box in the location of the speaker that holds some specialized computer interface components once I get them back from the repair shop. (I have a PC in my truck and this box allows me to hook to ODBII and some other features.)

Note this is in a 2003. If yours is anything other than a 2003-2006 with BOSE system your mileage may vary...

Rodney

I'm hitting a brick wall on this right now. I just bought my first avalanche, an 05 Z71 with many nice options, and I love it. I bought a box with two 10s that "fit" under the rear seat. Now realizing, and reading here, that I should have gotten a single sided box. Would have been easier to remove to use the midgate, and would have allowed me to choose the sub I wanted. This one came with two subs of unknown quality, 250 watts RMS each.

I don't want to cut up the truck, at all, and due to the number of adapters needed to get what I want in the truck and integrate steering wheel controls and keep rear seat audio working correctly, and considering the 235k miles it has, I'm just going to ride with the stock radio and add bluetooth the gangster way. I just soldered together a PAC RCA out (for my sub amp) and a bluetooth receiver to the harness that comes with the PAC, got it all working, then realized I have nowhere to put the amp and therefore can't run the RCAs and put my dash back together. I used the RCA out from the bluetooth receiver and connected them to the analog left/right signals that are used by the XM radio (or used to be). Now I can have everything I wanted (bluetooth, output for subs, retained accessory power signal for subs and bluetooth, steering wheel controls, using factory amps, retaining rear seat audio) for the low cost of $64 and an hour of time.

All this to say.... the link for the modification to the under seat box doesn't work anymore, and the more I think about it, the more I'm considering mounting this amp in the cargo bins of the bed of the truck. Someone please save my sanity and show me how to mod this box, or post some photos of other noninvasive installations. I'm using an Alpine MRP M500, so nothing huge.

Last edited:
I'm hitting a brick wall on this right now. I just bought my first avalanche, an 05 Z71 with many nice options, and I love it. I bought a box with two 10s that "fit" under the rear seat. Now realizing, and reading here, that I should have gotten a single sided box. Would have been easier to remove to use the midgate, and would have allowed me to choose the sub I wanted. This one came with two subs of unknown quality, 250 watts RMS each.

I don't want to cut up the truck, at all, and due to the number of adapters needed to get what I want in the truck and integrate steering wheel controls and keep rear seat audio working correctly, and considering the 235k miles it has, I'm just going to ride with the stock radio and add bluetooth the gangster way. I just soldered together a PAC RCA out (for my sub amp) and a bluetooth receiver to the harness that comes with the PAC, got it all working, then realized I have nowhere to put the amp and therefore can't run the RCAs and put my dash back together. I used the RCA out from the bluetooth receiver and connected them to the analog left/right signals that are used by the XM radio (or used to be). Now I can have everything I wanted (bluetooth, output for subs, retained accessory power signal for subs and bluetooth, steering wheel controls, using factory amps, retaining rear seat audio) for the low cost of $64 and an hour of time.

All this to say.... the link for the modification to the under seat box doesn't work anymore, and the more I think about it, the more I'm considering mounting this amp in the cargo bins of the bed of the truck. Someone please save my sanity and show me how to mod this box, or post some photos of other noninvasive installations. I'm using an Alpine MRP M500, so nothing huge.

I would not mount the amp in the cargo bins. If they leak than your amp will be ruined.

What about getting a “B” pillar from a junkyard (most Chevy trucks your year will be the same) and mount the amp near the bottom. If you have to mount a board or plastic to the panel then mount the amp to that.

Attachments

• 9EACA949-438B-4B11-9F3F-CC0CF44A2FAB.jpeg
    9EACA949-438B-4B11-9F3F-CC0CF44A2FAB.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 183836B4-D848-41BE-9A73-0A4007929B5B.jpeg
    183836B4-D848-41BE-9A73-0A4007929B5B.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 14
Back