• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

04 Avalanche Trailer Light Problem (left turn)

Bronik

Hello,

Decided to pull a couple sleds this winter and I'm having trouble with my trailer lights. Over the last 12 years I've backed into many of snow banks and broke the factory installed plug cover off. So I Started by replacing that plug with a Grote plug. I used this as my guide to where the wires should go on my plug:

trailerplugs.gif

Installation when smooth, now on to testing the connections. Running Lights, Brake Lights, Right Turn, all Good. In fact I have power to all the wires (when using a test light) except Yellow (Left Turn). So I figured must be the fuse I keep reading about on here. So I go to the drivers side panel behind the door and test both L/R TRL Turn fuses, they both were fine but I replaced them anyways. So I checked under the hood and found 2 fuses TRL Park and another one Marked TRL, Trl Park was blown so I replaced it and the other one was fine. I've found 4 fuses related to trailer plug, are they're more I should be checking?

Still no left turn signal. So I come back online and I'm reading through old posts but I'm trying to determine what applies to my 04. From following the trailer harness, it heads left where the left turn light branches in and then seems to head straight to the front of the truck. Some other posts mention a junction box, some say on the right hand rear side of the truck, some say around the spare tire. I have no spare under there anymore but I don't see a junction box? how does this trailer turn signal wire route? does it have a connector that I need to check under my truck somewhere or does it indeed head straight to the front of the truck, in which case is there a connector near the front I can check?

I'm really at a loss here to get the trailer plug working properly. I'm considering running a positive wire down from the left rear turn signal into the back of that plug to solve it.

There's usually a J-Box on the passenger side rear inner fender near the back.. #14 on the diagram, the problem could be there. It might be in a different location on yours..

Attachments

• wiring tail2.JPG
    wiring tail2.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
Back