• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New to Me Avalanche

Bojib

I recently acquired a new to me Avalanche.
2002 Model, needs a little TLC but the price was right (free).

I mentioned in a previous post that it supposedly has a parasitic battery drain.  The problem was mostly fixed, the key switch was replaced and it stopped the Avy from running down over a night or two.  Supposedly it now takes a little over a week to run down.  I'm actually thinking it's a worn out battery from the previous drain though.

It also has new A-Arms up front, and a new radiator.  It needs a thermostat, I think someone forgot to put it back in. 

The brake pedal likes to catch a little low, and is a bit on the soft side.  The brakes are fairly new, so I guess I'll start with bleeding them at some point in the near future.

The truck has 180+ miles on, but it has a newer engine and transmission.  Both feel pretty solid. 

I am not sure when the last fluid changes were done for the transfer case or rear differential.  The front differential is only a couple years old, but it won't hurt it to change fluid when I do the other two.

The only other thing I've found right away is that the gas gauge sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

So my short list is:
Thermostat
Bleed brakes
Change some fluids
Gas Gauge fix, if I can figure out where the issue is.
Thorough cleaning of inside, but probably not until it warms back up.

The only other things I know are that it hasn't been the most dependable vehicle.  Mostly electrical type problems.  Faulty modules and such.  I guess I'll have to do a bit more research and have a wait and see attitude.  Hard to fix something when you aren't exactly sure what the problem is.

If the fuel gauge says it is empty and you know it is not empty try some techron fuel system cleaner

MS03 2500 said:
If the fuel gauge says it is empty and you know it is not empty try some techron fuel system cleaner

Techron Concentrate Plus is a different formulation than the Techron Fuel System Cleaner. GM recommends adding the Concentrate Plus product at every oil change.

Thanks for those bits of information.  I'll have to pick some up on my way home and add it with the next fill up.

Back