• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Air Raid intake tube

Alwaysnosing

I managed to find a local member selling one so purchased it at a great price in virtually brand new condition! Fitted it this afternoon and took it for a spin. The induction growl is awesome when getting on it!! Hardly noticeable when being gentle which is great for the wife, but coupled with the AEM dry filter, resonator delete and SLP pipes plus a diablo intune 87 performance tune? I am very happy with the results..... managing to purchase all the above in as new condition but at used prices has been awesome!

I will try and get some sound clips and pictures, but the install looks very clean under the hood, almost OEM.

Highly recommended.

Great to see someone finally listening when we try to teach from our "overspending mistakes". I keep saying if I were to do it over thats all I'd buy.

Hell my Banks setup (yes the quality is beyond compare) could've about bought me a new cam.

My setup is similar to yours (running a Diablosport 87 Octane).

I bought my Airaid with their filter (deal I found for the combo was not much more than the tube itself).  I've noticed the intake temperatures seem to be closer to ambient.  I think maybe it's because there's no longer than long factory tube that sits under the intake cover above the engine.  Also has a nice sound.  Haven't installed the filter yet, since I just put on a new replacement type before buying the combo.  Probably install it in 15k miles.

Still waiting for funds to do the resonator delete.  (I know it's mostly sound and looks).

Would love to hear some in-car sound with the Airaid/SLP combo (especially with the midgate open since that carries more sound into the cab).

Amen to that! I'd love a Volant intake just for the 'cool' factor, but the air raid intake tube i got for $50 basically brand new with all fittings. I live in the PNW so the variance in heat during the year means i prefer the enclosed airbox as opposed to the exposed cone filter, although the sound of the exposed cone filter is pretty cool!

I spent a lot of time reading the forum and looking for reviews etc... And the main thing i took away from it all was that if I wanted to get some great performance out of my truck...... buy something else or throw big money on a supercharger. Obviously this was not disrespectful, far from it in fact! It was simply embracing the Avy for what it is and what I use it for. It's my kids chariot, full of car seats, oreo and cheerio crumbs, while the back is full of half wet and moldy work gear! haha.... So while I want to individualize the truck i have and make it better, its done so on a modest budget and to get the best bang for my buck.

Would i like a full Corsa exhaust? oh yes! Volant CAI? defo! Supercharger? hell yes! haha... but not sure my wife nor the kids college fund would like it lol.

I will get a couple of photo's this afternoon and see what i can do about the sound clip, not sure if it will be with the midget down as that will require taking all the car seats out! ;o)

Thanks for the replies!

Oh one thing i did want to make note of, the Air Raid intake tube is very well made and thought out. It even has the little receptacle in the bottom of the tube for the hose clamp thingy to attach. It also has a very nice screwable vacuum tube to replace the one on the resonator box, just remember to remove the 1 inch pipe that is on the receiving end first, or else you will be sat there for 10 mins trying to figure out how to attach 2 tubes! haha..... allegedly ;o)

Got the SLP for Christmas and finally installed it today.  Can't really tell a difference unless I put the passenger windows down (then it sounds throatier).  Have to try the midgate test sometime.  Definitely looks nicer.

I know this an old thread but I want to add my experience with the Airaid MIT.

I installed the Airaid MIT in my 2002 5.3L yesterday.  My one day experience is that you can definitely hear more of the intake noise and it is a good sound.  I don't experience any droning at a variety of speeds from a steady 30 mph to 75 mph.  I also feel like the throttle response is a little bit more immediate than stock. I can't say that the "improved" throttle response was totally caused by the MIT though.  It appears that the prior owner of the car had installed one of those Tornado Fuel Saver things and it had become lodged in the stock tube in a way that blocked some air flow...

Anyhow, I would recommend the Airaid MIT as a very inexpensive modification that gives you some auditory gains to go with the perceived (real) throttle response gains.

Back