• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Changing Bulbs in Radio and HVAC Control Unit

Bojib

So, the Avalanche I was recently gifted needs some new bulbs in random places around the radio face, and a couple in the HVAC control Unit.  I've watched a couple videos on youtube, and it doesn't seem like the worst job in the world.

With winter getting here, I should have time to sit down and de-solder the old ones and re-solder the new ones.  Thinking I may just change all the bulbs, even the good ones, while I have things apart.

Anyone with any experience in the matter with some helpful hints before I get to it? 

I did the climate controls on one of my avys. I can't remember which one. It was pretty straight forward. Nothing complicated. I had a donor CC unit that I got the bulbs out of.

Finished it up this evening.

Went ahead changed all the bulbs, even the good ones.

The radio looks good.

The HVAC the bulbs were a little on the small side for, so it's a little more dim than previous, but at least now the whole thing lights up.

Pretty easy job actually. 

Went through all my dash lights and replaced them with blue led's. I have the 04 av so all the lights had to be soldered. one trick for you with the cc lights. angle them up since they fit inside a cutout of the buttons. if you solder them straight in then bend them the wire brakes from flexing over time.

Back