• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brand loyalty? Nope, free agent

Aerohokie

SM 2020
PM 2017
First GM killed Pontiac, driving excitement is dead. Thank God I got my G8 GXP first, but then they killed the Avalanche. My two passions are no more. GM isn't making anything exciting anymore imo. The new vettes are awesome as is the Z28, but those aren't affordable. Being a Trans Am lover, the camaro is always, just a camaro. The Reper was a decent attempt, but I don't think it was well thought out. It's nice seeing so many Avalanche features in new trucks, but please GM, bring back some unique vehicles that make us go "damn, I have to have that."

I have to edit. The concept ZR2 that I have seen does that I think. So there is hope

Aerohokie said:
GM isn't making anything exciting anymore imo. The new vettes are awesome as is the Z28, but those aren't affordable.  It's nice seeing so many Avalanche features in new trucks, but please GM, bring back some unique vehicles that make us go "damn, I have to have that."

I agree, W/ the Avalanche gone and the new Camaro feeling like a sardine can with a cramped cabin and poor pedal placement, after 17 years of driving and 12 GM products (77,81,89 and 91 Camaros, 78 Scottsdale, 96 Lesabre, 96 Yukon, 05 Silverado, 05 Avalanche, 07 Silverado, 08 Avalanche and a 15 Acadia) I'm looking elsewhere for my next car.  There is nothing in the present GM lineup that peaks my interest. Thinking of a possibly picking up a Subaru SG9 (04-0:cool: Forester and doing an STi drivetrain swap, or getting a GV8 11-15 WRX STi

I can agree somewhat, the only non truck that appeals to me is a GMC Acadia.

After the bankruptcy GM has seem to have lost there Trail Blazer attitude just make cars for the masses. If we look back over the years and think about how many different type of vehicle GM (especially Chevy) brought to the market.

I just do not see the ingenuity and creativity any longer.

I love Corvette but when I saw the new gen ones someone had to tell me what it was, it's a bit too ricer for me

I have to agree for the most part. The Silverado High Country is nice but I don't really want a pickup, and from what I am reading all of the new full-size GM SUVs seem to have a fundamental design flaw that causes buffeting noises in the cabin. The only thing that appeals to me right now from GM is the Caddy ATS. I think Caddy is on the right track.

I'm fixing to retire from GM next year. I'd like a Camaro convertible but I can't justify the cost, it's not the price of the car so much as it is the Michigan insurance premiums and how few days I could actually enjoy it with the top down in this state.

It's not just GM, most of the cars today are so bland you can barely one from another.

I don't think the Acadia looks or performs like a GMC.  With the price of a new vehicle, it pays to buy and old one and restore.  I had an Envoy XUV that I would buy again in a heartbeat.  Awesome truck, very functional and decent gas mileage.

I have a '94 S10 ext. cab with a four cylinder and an '04 Avalanche with slightly under 50,000 miles on each. Both need a little work but it's minor stuff I've been putting off,... I want to do it myself but my GM job is physical and they've been working me 6 nights a week. I don't have the energy I did when I was younger but I don't need a car when I have two relatively healthy trucks.

https://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

I wouldn't mind owning a new high performance electric or a classic car from around '69

I think GM should buy up all the 1990's Vortec trucks, refurbish them and sell them with a warranty. Affordable, quality trucks you can afford!

Aerohokie said:
I think GM should buy up all the 1990's Vortec trucks, refurbish them and sell them with a warranty. Affordable, quality trucks you can afford!

GM is selling all the new trucks it can build running the Flint, Michigan and Fort Wayne, Indiana assembly plants 24 hours/6 days a week. New or upgraded paint and body shops in process will increase production soon.

Rebuilt trucks might be a good business model for a small company if they could buy the used trucks cheap enough. Problem there is many people tend to keep pickup trucks until they milk the last little bit of life out of them.

Aerohokie said:
Yeah, that'd be cool.  I still miss my '91 S10 Blazer and kick myself daily for letting the body rot away.  You couldn't kill that thing and after 215,000 miles, the interior still looked great.

frito said:
Yeah, that'd be cool.  I still miss my '91 S10 Blazer and kick myself daily for letting the body rot away.  You couldn't kill that thing and after 215,000 miles, the interior still looked great.

I had an '85 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a 6 cyl. 5 speed stick undercoated by Rusty Jones back when they still did it right. It was starting to nickel and dime me but I screwed up trading it in. I always wanted to lift it, done right it could navigate trails an Avalanche wouldn't.

Aerohokie said:

Those trucks would not meet current safety or emissions standards without significant and costly upgrades, not to mention how few rust-free examples are left. Look at the guy who refurbs the Grand Wagoneers, he does great work but if you have to ask how much one costs, you probably can't afford it.

Ahh vehicle loyalty over common economic sense....... Sometimes emotions can override things. Also family needs can change over time too.

I think we all fall in love with any new vehicle we buy since we want to convince ourselves and others that we made a good decision. Then does the vehicle turn out to be the best or is it a matter of the good memories with that vehicle override the memories of the breakdowns and other issues?
I guess if we thought our purchase through as a lifetime investment then heavily undercoated, paint protected and mechanically maintained the vehicle it could last for decades assuming we could still get the parts needed to keep it running. Then we could pass it down to our children and grandchildren. But I imagine that would be a gamble if the efforts over the years would be appreciated since some kids love a vehicle with family history and memories attached and others have to have the latest and greatest bells and whistles.
Since getting my 1947 Chevy I have seen many shows and read articles that state the best way to buy an old car/truck is to buy it after someone else restores it that way you enjoy their efforts and you save money. Thing is whether you want it like showroom original condition or a modernized version?
I plan to keep my AV a long time and just because it's not made now, no telling what will be made when I decide to buy a new vehicle so I will keep an open mind considering what will be my needs and budget at the time.

Flint4x4 said:
I had an '85 S10 Blazer 4x4 with a 6 cyl. 5 speed stick undercoated by Rusty Jones back when they still did it right. It was starting to nickel and dime me but I screwed up trading it in. I always wanted to lift it, done right it could navigate trails an Avalanche wouldn't.
Oh yeah it could.  It was a month old (I bought it new btw) the first time I got pulled out of a mud hole.  I almost rolled it in WV.  I jumped motorcycle moguls with it and pulled a stuck full sized Bronco out of a beach like area after my buddy welded the clutch of his Nissan Hard Body trying to do the same.  I then had to pull same buddy up a series inclines to get him out of the beach area.  Nobody around could believe it was stock other than 1/2 - 1 inch larger tires.  :love: :B:

Oh yeah, turns out the stupid ford owner forgot to lock his hubs.  :rolleyes:

frito said:
Oh yeah it could.  It was a month old (I bought it new btw) the first time I got pulled out of a mud hole.  I almost rolled it in WV.  I jumped motorcycle moguls with it,..

'85 Blazer was my first brand new vehicle. I kept it stock and took it down a trail when it couldn't have been over a month old, went over the RR Tracks where motorcycles had been jumping them. I went too slow and bottomed out because the bikes had kicked out all of the stone fill. I was sitting on the tracks like a beached whale with a train coming, short wheel base saved me. I cut the wheel left and grabbed the ties, got one rear wheel into the center of the tracks, cut it back right and bounced right over.

The Avalanche is like an S10 Blazer on steroids  :love: :B:

MLM said:
Those trucks would not meet current safety or emissions standards without significant and costly upgrades, not to mention how few rust-free examples are left. Look at the guy who refurbs the Grand Wagoneers, he does great work but if you have to ask how much one costs, you probably can't afford it.

Satire, man. http://www.theonion.com/video/ford-unveils-new-car-for-cash-strapped-buyers-the--14381

Back