• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wiring up my Head unit to factory harnesses, few questions

SOM02

Bear with me here, as this is my first head unit install. This is all on a 2002 Avalanche without the Bose system (that I know of).

I'm currently in the process of putting together my head unit harness adapter with the harness that came with my HU and the Metra 70-1858 adapter harness.

Few questions:

I haven't pulled the factory dash and headunit out of my Avy yet, but have learned that, at least on some models, there is a separate plug for OnStar. This isn't a huge deal, since the OnStar on the truck never gets and never will get used, but I've heard that the wire to power the factory amp is in this plug. Is this true for all models of Avalanche?

If it is true for all models, do I just splice in another wire to that red wire on the OnStar plug to the acc wires attached to each other from the Metra harness and the radio harness? OR, would I hook that up to the "AMP CONT" wire from my head unit harness?

If it ISN'T true for all models, I noticed that Metra makes 2 adapter harnesses for GM trucks; one for non-amplified models and one for amplified models (So I know that some of these GM trucks do not come with amps, just unsure about the Avalanches). I have the one for non-amplified models. When I bought it, I didn't realize there was a difference. In fact, I didn't realize there was a difference until about 10 minutes ago. So does the avalanche (equipped with an amp) have an Amp control wire in the factory harness?

If all models of avalanche AREN'T amplified, whats the easiest way to figure out if mine is or isn't, preferably without taking too much apart?

Annnnnd last question, my HU has 2 grounds; One to be ground to the battery and one to be ground to the chassis. The metra harness adapter (And therefore, I assume the factory harness) only has 1 ground. So which of the two get soldered to that ground?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not so sure how well I've conveyed these questions, but I'm trying to be able to get all of this done in one shot, so I'm trying to make sure everything is as plug and play as possible, and making sure I know what to do with what isn't so plug and play, before I take anything apart. 

Read this thread, it has most of the answers.. Then come back and ask anything your not clear on..

It a nutshell on a 2002 if your just changing the HU all the wires you need are in the stock harness except the back up signal which is in the trailer harness by the parking break (pic in the thread) and you need to bypass the factory amp if your going to use the stock speaker wires.

And yes the OnStar is not supported on the 02's so you just tie back the second plug that goes into the factory HU.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144830.0.html

Super helpful, thanks! So all I need to do is bypass the amp and the headunit will power the speakers? If so, that just made this much simpler! I really appreciate the help.

Yep, it's really pretty easy. Good luck..

Back