• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How's Your Gen I Avalanche/EXT Holding Up?

Dalefan

Well, the "newest" of the Generation I Avalanches/EXTs are coming up on 10 years old now, and I got to wondering how everyone else's is holding up. My 2004 has been on the road since 10/2003 when I bought it as the original and only owner and overall I would say that it has been above average for the mileage and years on it. Yes, I have had to make some repairs, but nothing I couldn't take care of by myself. This could serve as a good list for those looking to buy a Gen I so they know what types of things to look for.

So, how about we get everyone to list their Year, Mileage, Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor), and the Issues/Problems they have experienced.

Year-2004

Mileage-125,000

Condition-Excellent/Good-All interior excellent with no rips or tears in leather, carpet good. Exterior-Paint with glossy clearcoat, no peeling, no dents, cladding maintained with Refinish restorer. Engine clean, strong, no smoke, no codes. All features and options still functional.

Issues List:
Gauge Cluster replaced
One rear O2 sensor replaced
Driver Power window replaced
All brake lines replaced due to rust
Both front hubs replaced
Power Steering cooler replaced due to rust
3rd set of brakes all around with new rotors (probably average wear)
CD changer died, replaced just CD unit
Knock sensors/harness replaced
Driver side mirror glass replaced due to de-lamination
Frame for rear window is split (no water leak, so not fixed)
On 3nd battery (about average from my experience with GM vehicles)

Not a bad list for 12 years.

Replaced or repaired things that broke or were missing.

Will continue to do so.

No complaints worth mentioning.

(y)

My 04 has about 240k-ish miles and I have replaced the transmission,rear axle (differential blew up), knock sensors, front wheel bearings (3x),and water pump.

That's it for the major stuff.

2002 2500 AV, over 14 years old with 236,000 plus miles.  It has the original motor, trans, trans case, front/rear diff. The major things done are to rebuild the front end, replaced the starter and water pump. Other than the usual brakes, tires, belts and hoses, not to mention the many mods, shes in excellent shape.

2002 bought in December 2001. brakes, tires, front hubs, batteries. rust inside rear left passenger door sill area. rust above right rear wheel. regular oil changes. never had any codes show up. original plugs, wires, etc. still runs great. only failed to start once when the battery died. has about 128k miles. so reliable we picked up a 2003 ext 6 months ago for my son, 53k miles.

2002 bought SEpt 2001 about 149K miles.
Pretty much all interstate.

Hmmmmmmm nothing really
bunch of oil changes
on 3rd set tires
on 3rd set brake pads and rotors etc.
on second set plugs and wires.
ON second serp belt but original AC belt
Biggest thing is the headlights being plastic and HAZING over so I have to polish more then I like.

Sunroof headliner glue failed.
Going to add new PArking brake shoes and use the new centering clips to keep them frmo getting ruined again.

Other wise NOTHING wrong! HAs not cost me a dime over normal maintenance stuff.

Holding up good.
My father bought my 2003 in nov. 2002.
Besides the fluid Changes , tires and battery he replaced

Cluster paid by gm
Rear breaks

I got his avy 2 years ago

Replaced nothing

I do have a small leak on the passenger side front diff. Look tough to fix.

My 2004 Avalanche with over 192,000 miles has required few repairs and is in excellent shape both mechanically and cosmetically. Repairs that have been done were
1) Gauge cluster repaired at about 83K. I did it with the aid of u-tube videos that showed how. Pretty easy except a little intimidating removing the solder from the circuit board to get the old part out.
2) Front forward sprag went out in tranny at about 172K so I took it out and got a rebuilt one and put in.
3) Four of the six speakers were blown so I just finished replacing the four main speakers with 3-way, 6.5 in. round ones that were relatively cheap but a lot better than the old ones. BTW, the door panels were pretty easy to take off by following some videos from the web which were much appreciated.

Other than these three items, it has been just routine maintenance like tires, oil changes, etc.

'02 z71, single owner
Besides normal things: brakes, fluids, belts, ect

<50,000 Front shocks blew up
96,xxx: Power steering pump died, and took out the gear box a few weeks later.
110,xxx: rear shocks were toast
146,xxx: one parking brake shoe blew up for some reason and took out all the mechanics, mounting bolt, and rotor. Rebuilt both sides.
156,xxx: front passenger wheel bearing replaced
157,xxx: (10/31/15) wife hit a 6 point buck going 65mph
Did all repair work myself:
-new grill, lights, front bumper, all new brackets, grill frame, radiator support
-new fender, and passenger door
Not related to the deer, but I had insurance money left over:
-removed all cladding, Gatorbacked the entire truck, and re-installed
-found rust under rear quarter panel cladding, didn't fix, but will address soon
-Replaced all IP, radio, HVAC control backlight bulbs
-added grill guard, and Aux lights
-put in new Torsion bars, and added leveling keys

The truck looks great for being 14 years old, and having 160,xxx miles on it.  Exterior paint is in great shape, just has several rock chips on the hood, and some pinstripes from running the trails.  No visible rust, but I did find some under one of the rear quarter cladding pieces. 

Everything interior works, the driver seat is starting to crack a bit, and the armrests have the typical cracking.  The interior trim (kick panels, sills, pilars, ect) have lots of deep scratches and marks from wear.  I'm currently trying to source replacement pieces for all of the interior trim items.  Back window has trim cracked.  Bought a replacement off ebay, hasn't arrived yet. 

On the todo list:  (nothing urgent, just wanting to tighten up the front end)
Both upper control arms, both lower ball joints, both tie-rods, idler arm, swaybar links (front), and driver wheel bearing.

Vehicle mods:
2nd battery (in passenger fender)
Onboard air compressor
200amp quick plugs.  One underhood, one at rear hitch
Rear air spring helpers
Reverse light switch in saddlebag
Added Aux input via tape deck
DIC from a Denali
"Aux Light switch" and "Rear Fog light switch" in righthand IP location
Added homelink (truck didn't come with it)
Leveling keys
Aries Grill guard
DIY Foglight and bumper guard added to Grill guard
LED Light bar
Inprogress: DIY skidplate from grill guard to factory engine skidplate (replacing that black plastic guard that is totally worthless)

Um, 2006 here - 157000-something miles.

I've had four tire changes, numerous oil changes, new plugs, light bulbs, ambers, a few transmission fluid changes, and nothing else. Still on stock transmission, stock pumps (water, steering), and shocks.

Drove it to work today and loved the quiet ride.  Just need to fix the stupid evap plug which makes it sometimes hard to fill up with gas.

2003 - 187800 miles.

Good condition overall, with a nice wash & wax, then using trim retorse on the cladding it looks new again. Wheels have bad corrosion all over the place though.

Replaced parts, 3 drivers side window regulators (one a year last 3 years)
front passengers side wheel bearing
alternator (turned out not to be bad though)
water pump was new when I bought it 4 years ago
front brake line behind bumper rotted away (could've died on that one)
brake master cylinder
knock sensors
recently all four brakes

Coming soon...
new shocks (fronts are blown out and leak)
u-joints

She is a daily driver and unfortunatly the 4wd only works once a year. But overall she's been a good truck, it only breaks down if I take it on a trip somewhere, so we just hang out locally nowdays :)

03 with about 145k

Heres my ongoing list...  most things have been minor.  ( i dont list normal stuff like brakes and batteries)   the transfer case and compressor were the hardest hits to my wallet

- factory ac delco battery positive post broke and the acid leak killed my windshield washer fluid reservoir (warranty)
- gatorback / rr  bed panel stuff to restore black cladding...  (warranty)
- left torsion bar bushing
- Transfer Case leak due to pump rub at 90k or so.. this was an expensive repair and the one i'm the most pissed at GM for...
- Drivers side front wheel bearing failed around 75k
- drivers side passenger window actuator and both rear actuators
- drivers side back and bottom heated seat elements (replaced each one twice so far)
- rear window trim cracked
- tailgate lock mechanism jammed (easily fixed with disassembly and some good lube)
- o2 sensor driver side front
- Intermediate steering shaft (warrantied the first 2 times, then I eventually paid to get the new design model which is going strong)
- drivers side rear chromatic view mirror broke down chemically inside
- sun roof gutter drain hose got blocked and soaked headliner
- PRND321 gear indicator lights went dark due to cold solder joints in resistors (resoldered)
- drivers side door rattling due to worn out padding on a window guard (easy fix)
- 4wd transfer case position sensor replaced
- fuel pump
- removed and re-sealed bed panel gaskets with silicone (this helps a lot when you finally start to leak)
- air conditioning overhaul (new compressor and related items- another expensive repair)
- water pump
- new shocks at 135k
- intake manifold gasket at 145k
- oil pressure gauge pegged at max (need new sending unit)

marzahld said:
03 with about 145k

Heres my ongoing list...  most things have been minor.  ( i dont list normal stuff like brakes and batteries)   the transfer case and compressor were the hardest hits to my wallet

- factory ac delco battery positive post broke and the acid leak killed my windshield washer fluid reservoir (warranty)
- gatorback / rr  bed panel stuff to restore black cladding...  (warranty)
- left torsion bar bushing
- Transfer Case leak due to pump rub at 90k or so.. this was an expensive repair and the one i'm the most pissed at GM for...
- Drivers side front wheel bearing failed around 75k
- drivers side passenger window actuator and both rear actuators
- drivers side back and bottom heated seat elements (replaced each one twice so far)
- rear window trim cracked
- tailgate lock mechanism jammed (easily fixed with disassembly and some good lube)
- o2 sensor driver side front
- Intermediate steering shaft (warrantied the first 2 times, then I eventually paid to get the new design model which is going strong)
- drivers side rear chromatic view mirror broke down chemically inside
- sun roof gutter drain hose got blocked and soaked headliner
- PRND321 gear indicator lights went dark due to cold solder joints in resistors (resoldered)
- drivers side door rattling due to worn out padding on a window guard (easy fix)
- 4wd transfer case position sensor replaced
- fuel pump
- removed and re-sealed bed panel gaskets with silicone (this helps a lot when you finally start to leak)
- air conditioning overhaul (new compressor and related items- another expensive repair)
- water pump
- new shocks at 135k
- intake manifold gasket at 145k
- oil pressure gauge pegged at max (need new sending unit)

I did the sending unit on my 06 tahoe.
It's all feel.
You will have to unplug another plug next to it to get the socket on it.
I dropped the rubber grommet into the sending hole. Lucky a vacuum sucked it out.
It's a pain but after done could do it again easy

tblt44:  I have the sending unit and the specialty socket already, just waiting for a window of time when i can actually do it..  thanks for the heads up on the removal of another connector  :D

I just did mine yesterday. I didn't have to unplug anything else to get it off and the new one on.

I did, however, bump one of the hoses running to the heater core while doing it and the connector snapped in two right at the top of the metal tubing from the heater core (as has been posted about elsewhere on the site). So I'll be replacing that this morning.

I've only had the truck a few months (181k miles when I got t, 183 now) and it drives great. I'be replaced two power window regulators, one power window switch, the thermostat was stuck and I replaced that and now the oil pressure sending unit. And today one of the radiator hoses connectors to the heater core (which I'll flush out as long as I'm there). 

Given that it was a NJ car before I bought it and brought it down to DC, though, I need to check out the brake lines well.

tblt44 said:
I did the sending unit on my 06 tahoe.
It's all feel.
You will have to unplug another plug next to it to get the socket on it.
I dropped the rubber grommet into the sending hole. Lucky a vacuum sucked it out.
It's a pain but after done could do it again easy

My hands are too big to do it.  My wife's hands though can do it pretty easily.

I drive a 03 z71(150k), was daily driven in WI all year round and shows rust primarily, surface rust on frame, brake lines needed to be replaced, no more rocker panels, floor pans and floor channels under trim by door are pitted badly. Other than that mechanically its been fine for me! 5.3l are pretty solid and can't complain.

'02 Z66, 3rd owner, 245000 some miles, no rust anywhere, original engine, Trans unknown but seems to be doing very well for the last 3 years. Issues when I acquired it were anti-lock brakes non functional (repaired), P0440 code, broken nipple on the evap. canister (repaired), several blown bulbs in heater control and radio (repaired), starter (original replaced), Cracked front bumper (replaced), Headlight , turn signal and fog light lenses excessively cloudy (replaced), front shocks (replaced).

One of the most comfortable riding and handling trucks I have driven. Only issue that I have currently is the heated seats went out at the beginning of this winter season.

Those wondering why no rust. Previous 2 owners lived in central South Carolina.

Rarebird said:
Those wondering why no rust. Previous 2 owners lived in central South Carolina.
Haha! I wasn't wondering. Salt should be on french fries, not roads.  :p

I have a 2002 w/270K original miles and still going strong. However, with that being said, I am looking to replace the drivers side 6/way power seat with HTR. GM does not make them any more and what I've seen so far is not good. Very expensive to replace these seats. Any suggestions

2005 Z71 has 157k miles on it. Its been my daily driver for the last 7 or 8 yrs. I tow +5k lb loads pretty regularly. 4WD gets used in snow & sand. Body & interior are in great shape. No rust at all.
5.3 doesn't burn or leak oil. Has a CAI installed.
4L60E was rebuilt at 152k miles. Was given an extra clutch disc in the pack & a higher pressure regulator to make it better for towing.

Other repairs/mods include:
Front end work including tie rod ends & pitman arm
Bilstein shocks replaced
Upgraded brakes, replaced front wheel bearings
4WD encoder motor replaced
Several sets of tires. Currently on BFG AT TA KO2s & 20" powder coated rims
Muffler replaced with a Flowmaster 50
Had all new servos & blue LEDs installed in the gauge cluster
New stereo - Pioneer HU, MB Quartz speakers, 400 watt amp, Kicker Hideaway sub
Added heat to the existing cloth seats
24" LED light bar
GE Nighthawk headlights
Custom wrapped steering wheel

Love this truck. The day I sell it, I will get into another Avalanche.

2005 Z71.  154k.  good body condition, excellent engine condition.  most everything between the engine and the ground has been a big disappointment.

trans rebuilt at 90k. 
trans rebuilt at 130k
rear axle exploded at 150k
steering  wore out at 130k
front shocks were dead at 120, rears still good
front calipers were sticking at 130k
engine light came on at 115k for evap solenoid, now i'm getting a dead o2 code
fog light switch broke at 115k.  have a new one, just haven't done it yet.
just put new front cv shafts in thursday night
junkyard rear axle rebuilt a few weeks ago
frame around rear glass just recently popped
bed leaks heavily in the rain

have a random clunk that comes and goes, that sounds exactly like the symptoms of the slip yoke clunk, but is not it.

anyone want to buy it?  :D

I had the 03 for 7 years. Wasn't sure if I was seeing any rust of not. The usual items with the 4x4 encoder at 4 K miles and 4 days to resolve. Intermdeiate Steering Shaft 2x, an A/C recharge once, and the Transfer Case Rub late in 2009 & Front Axle Boots. The Rear Window Frame popped at the passenger side bottom corner around 07.

I only had 1 silly thing go out on the '10, very minor though. I can't even recall what it was now. I really should have kept that Truck!  :E:

The 2013 is now 1 week shy of 36 months with 33,900 miles. History has been odd though. At 18K the Heater Core blew out. In November of 15, the battery finally gave up, Dealer Replaced, and last week, I sent a message to my Mr GoodWrench Guy and asked if he had any TSB items to deal with or whether I should bring it in for a last minute check up?

I also mentioned the Driver's side window was squeaking on the last third of Up travel. He suggested I bring it in so it could be noted.

Of course the window would not squeak when I took it in on Thursday. We were both fishing for something to put on the list. I demonstrated the Passenger side front window did not travel up at the same rate as the Driver's side. Duly noted!

The he asked me about the back window. I just happened to have been looking at that for the past 2 years. Just before I arrived at the dealer, I took a moment to give it a better look and of course discovered a developing crack on the passenger Bottom corner. It was impossible to see in the shade, so I used the Flashlight on the iPhone to see it better and then took a picture. Yes, I've been looking hard at the Dash since 2003, no problems, no dash cover either.

When Mr GoodWrench Guy was trying to look, in the shade, I told him I took a picture. He said that was good enough for him.

As he was writing up the items, I was feeling like a real Jerk for such petty items, Squeaky Glass, Slow Glass, and a very questionable item on the rear window. We both shrugged our shoulders and neither of us expected much of an outcome for these pissy items.

90 minutes later, I was informed the Passenger Side Regulator had been replaced, the Driver's Side was Lubed, Greased & up to specifications, and Rear Window Replacement had been ordered.

So, I expected to hear the Air Bags were on Order, the Ignition Switch was suspected for issues, and I've only replaced 1 tire due to irreparable road damage that I could not blame the State of California for being responsible.

Since it never Rains in California, I'm still on the Original Baldes, but I have the Spares in the Side Box!  >:D

It is going in next week to remove the Factory Touch Screen GPS for a Pioneer AVIC 8100nex unit. Sirius XM & OnScare are worse than the Cell Providers for having a $20 Bill slot in the Dash. Did I mention the problems I've had with OnScare and the GPS unit since day one on the 03 & 10?

3 years old, last model Avalanche, 2015 Head Unit Upgrade with Car Play and the Android version too, it's almost a new truck.  :love:

And as Perfect Reign mentioned a few posts above, during my morning commutes to the resort this year, I've had to roll the windows down to get rid of the deafening silence. This is almost the best vehicle I've ever owned with Velcro Feet too.   :B:

Back