• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replace factory BOSE system with aftermarket, questions.

chris77

Hello, I have a 2003 Avalanche with factory BOSE (I think premium because of the word BOSE on the door speakers), and a 6 disc cd changer. It also has On* which I dont care about because the version I have is obsolete and I have never paid for it anyway, and rear audio controls which our daughter sometimes uses.
I would like to replace the head unit with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WU342WW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MMEB61XGA6UN&coliid=IMYTOHAL1K5IO

Or something very close.
I would like to retain the BOSE speakers/amp and the door chimes and rear controls.

I have several questions:
Can I retain the BOSE speakers/amp?
If the new unit has steering wheel controls, do I need an additional adapter for that?
What mounting hardware (adapters, wire harnesses, faceplate, etc) do I need?
What problems can I expect?
Any other info?

I pretty sure I will have other questions sooner or later.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: also, would a head unit that flips out interfere with the shifter? I've read that some do, is that correct?

You should give www.crutchfield.com service department a call (I would not say I was buying from Amazon though) Just say what vehicle you have and what features you would like, they can rig you up with all the parts you need including wiring harnesses.
Some owners complained about flip screen units hitting shifter but they either programmed the unit to open on request not automatically so they could open unit when shifter was out of the way or they went so far as to shorten their shift levers so there was no interference.

This is what I found on their site for a 2003 AV with Bose and you say no Onstar in use.......

http://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

Seems like lots of choices, also you will get more info by calling them.

Hmm, interesting, the first time I tried it said no parts for your vehicle. But thank you! Now I just worry about the shifter. Does this apply to screens that fold straight down, because I think the ones that I've been looking at slide down and fold out, not sure though. I have been looking on Amazon for head units because I got about $200 in amazon cards for Christmas from different people.

Ah, farther down the page it says none of their wiring harnesses fit my truck. (Under 'Installation Parts')

Geeze, I'm on the Pac-Audio site and their wiring harnesses, etc, cost as much or more than the stereos I'm looking at. Thats ridiculous.

My guess is some input error?
I would still suggest you call them and give them your AV info then tell them what features you want in a head unit etc. Then let them build you a kit with all parts and info included. It may cost a few dollars more but they have top brand names and excellent customer service you will receive all parts needed with a full instruction sheet made for your kit not some foreign generic instructions.
You may want to consider a dash kit and get a large screen navigation type fixed screen to replace factory and stop worrying about flip screens? Otherwise call Crutchfield and ask what flip screens fit your AV and they could advise what harnesses are needed once a specific head unit is selected and they know what you are trying to do.
Good luck.

Most flip out screens do come sort of straight out maybe slightly down due to installation angle but they then flip up, it's when they flip up that they may hit shift lever, you just have to move shift lever out of the way for it to clear, it should be fine once deployed whether you shorten shift lever or not.
I know budget can be a concern but I would look at performance figures like wattage etc. before replacing a Bose unit with some low cost off brand head unit. You could end up with poorer sound levels and less frequency response. I would just save money and buy a good quality unit when I could.
The reason I suggest Crutchfield is they are a one stop shop and if anything goes wrong they will take care of you vs. if you buy parts from various dealers and something goes wrong one part supplier may blame the other and you get caught in the middle.

I have the same setup minus the onstar...

You can keep the factory amplifier and steering wheel controls but expect to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-150 or more for the adapter. No way around it.  I would ignore the onstar since you can't use it anyhow. I don't believe the onstar stuff is necissary if your not keeping it but your radio must support steering wheel controls as well.

You CAN just use the head unit power and bypass the amplifier. I tried this with a 35x4 channel amp but while the sound was WAY better the volume just wasn't there. Going to use the same amp in my truck this weekend but I am bridging the 35 watt channels so I will have 2x120 and 2x75 to run my door speakers. (Will be turning them down of course and upgrading to after market speakers.)

I have an under rear seat sub box that has a 2x250 amp running them... Going to be switching to JL Audio tw3 10" speakers when I get the system ironed out.

An aftermarket amplifier will make your factory speakers sound WAY better...

Rodney

Back