• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

5.3L V8 oil consumption milage issues

ruger2506

How many of you are getting to see high miles on your 2007 5.3L V8 with the oil consumption issues caused by the Active Fuel Management system. 

I've currently got 93,000 miles on my 5.3L and I'm about a quart low every 2,000 miles. 

Does just adding oil as needed and changing the oil every 3,000 miles keep the engine going just fine?  Doesn't that oil end up somewhere and cause problems?  Tips and advice are appreciated. 

I am just about to turn over 100,000 actually less than 100 miles to go on my 07 5.3 I change the oil and filter every 4,500 miles with a premium filter and high quality synthetic oil.  I need to add a quart between most oil changes but I drive to Florida and back to PA four times between changes and most of it is steady between 65 and 80mph.  So I don't think it is bad.

Do you folks have the redesign valve covers.

I have a 2007 Avalanche with 214,000 miles.  I'm the original owner, purchased in Feb 2007, I've always replaced the oil & filter when the dashlight told me it was time or I saw via the dash display it was <20%.  I took the same approach with our 2002 Yukon Xl which had 209,000 miles until a deer collision totalled the Yukon five weeks ago. 

I have disabled the AFM and am doing about 1 quart between oil changes, I chagneg the oil only when the computer says to currently at 110k.

I think I need my buddy's buddy to reprogram the performance and disable the AFM. 

" Also there is a guy down here that reprograms the factory computer and the results are impressive. If you could swing it, all three of these upgrades would make a 5.3 pull like or better than a 6.0 with better economy."

ruger2506 said:
Mine is 100% stock.

The early 07 up models had a issue with the driver side valve cover which was letting oil get thru the PCV and into the intake, so there is a second design one.

It's a different issue than the AFM Issue.

ruger2506 said:
How many of you are getting to see high miles on your 2007 5.3L V8 with the oil consumption issues caused by the Active Fuel Management system.  

I've currently got 93,000 miles on my 5.3L and I'm about a quart low every 2,000 miles.  

Does just adding oil as needed and changing the oil every 3,000 miles keep the engine going just fine?  Doesn't that oil end up somewhere and cause problems?  Tips and advice are appreciated.  

The 2007, first 2nd gen. Avy, AFM aluminum V4/8 had two oil burning issues. Dealer would not retrofit my 40K mileage Avy under the warranty because it hadn't yet developed the oil burning issue, so I traded for one with the retrofits. Both issues were addressed with retrofits at the factory on post Jan '11 production vehicles and likely other changes in  the hydraulic valve design and operating oil pressure. (My '12 and '13 models idle warm at 20-25 psi as opposed to 40 psi for the '07. If not addressed, even with 3K oil changes, once begun the oil burning problem will continue to worsen.

PCV pickup in the valve cover was improperly placed and baffled and begin to suck oil into the induction system, check for oil  in the PCV line. If so the retrofit valve cover will help reduce oil consumption.

AFM oil discharge valve in the sump had five exhaust ports, four horizontal and one vertical, fix was an aftermarket shield which blocked the horizontal ports directing all the oil discharge vertically into the sump instead of onto and overloading the cylinder walls and eventually clogging the oil rings. Fix was to install the shield and chemically clean the rings.......if that didn't work to new pistons.

It is too late if the oil ring set is already clogged, turning off AFM may not make much if any difference. If rings are not yet clogged or if Chevy is able to use their magic and clean them, installing the AFM shield and/or turning off the AFM with a tuner or Range device, along with a retrofit valve cover, should work.

Hi, I am the second owner of a 2011 with 44k and under extended warranty.  I am not experiencing any oil loss yet.  I brought it in for a transmission fluid exchange because the smelled burnt.  While in there I got the new oil cover and the piston cleaning process done, neither of which they would paid for.  $200 bucks each!  I figured it couldn't hurt.  I have been driving in M5 to keep it from switching to 4 cylinder mode, but I'm not sure if I am sacrificing the trans to keep the engine alive.  Quite the dilemma!  I will definitely have it re-programmed to kill the AFM after the warranty expires. 

My 2012 Chevy Avalance had oil issues from the first oil change on.  All oil changes were completed at the dealer and it started consuming oil at the rate of 1+ quart per 2000 miles.  Eventually it got to the point that the one spark plug became so crudded up with oil that it started misfiring.  At that point the dealer pulled the heads off and since the cylinder walls were scored they replaced the entire engine at 27,xxx miles.  As soon as the 5 year warranty is up I plan to get a tuner and disable AFM if I keep it that long.  Had a 2003 Ave that I ran up to 168,xxx miles and would barely burn 1/2 quart between oil changes even at high mileage.  The 2003 got better mileage which is something else I hope the tuner helps with on the 2012.  Was told the new engine has higher tension rings to help seal the oil out of the cylinder. 

In addition to the oil consumption, had the front brakes and rotors replaced at 35,xxx miles as they were warped horribly and had issues with paint bubbling above the windshield.

Mine did that also. At 90,000 miles it would need a quart a week. Brought it to my service department and they replaced pistons and plugs under warranty. Fixed the consumption problem. They explained that with the AFM its causes carbon build up on the piston rings which allows oil to blow by. Because of the newer emissions nobody notices any smoke blowing out.

The service manager told me that when the warranty is up it may not be bad idea to speak with a good performance shop about my options for handling the AFM issue.

My service department is Bailey Chevrolet in Willow Springs, MO. Give them a call for some advice if your local service department is not being helpful.

Interesting thread, See my thread about Stabliitrak & Traction Control warnings.
Dealer says it was low on oil and are currently replacing the valve cover gaskets as the first step. Maybe I mis-understood and they are replacing the actual valve cover?
It has also had a slight miss at idle that they looked at before, they claim since no codes were kicked off they couldn't do anything. My guess from reading this thread is it's got an oil fouled plug.
Can anyone explain to me why I got the Stabilitrak & Traction Control warnings when it actually was a low oil condition?

Interesting thread, See my thread about Stabliitrak & Traction Control warnings.
Dealer says it was low on oil and are currently replacing the valve cover gaskets as the first step. Maybe I mis-understood and they are replacing the actual valve cover?
It has also had a slight miss at idle that they looked at before, they claim since no codes were kicked off they couldn't do anything. My guess from reading this thread is it's got an oil fouled plug.
Can anyone explain to me why I got the Stabilitrak & Traction Control warnings when it actually was a low oil condition?
My 2007 Avalanche is intermittent showing Stabilitrac and traction control error codes in console when the Voltage reading drops from 14V down to 12V usually at idle with A/C running. Goes away when start driving again when alternator gets Voltage back up. I've got investigating to do see if alternator going out or what causing poor power.

Does just adding oil as needed and changing the oil every 3,000 miles keep the engine going just fine? Doesn't that oil end up somewhere and cause problems? Tips and advice are appreciated.
Here is the one and only thing to solve this problem, as a few others have said, disable or better yet do a full delete of the AFM system. Its a terrible designed system with too many flaws to list. Yes, the valve covers were in large part responsible for oil consumption but even after attempting to rectify that, they still got it wrong. The oil holes are simply not big enough. There's a guy on you tube who will describe it in detail but so you can understand as well. Brendan (I think) from CrazedPerformanceRepair. This guy knows his poop and will reply to your questions directly. LT1 swap is company to disable the AFM system from your ECM. Do this and you will have a long lasting, great running truck, dont and you will eventually run into internal engine problems.

I swapped out the drivers side valve cover for modified model. It helped tremendously decrease oil vaccumed into intake pcv hose.
I still use a oil catch can to keep as much oil out of intake as possible, much less oil in catch can with new valve cover.
Passenger side wasn't as bad but I think I'm going to add catch can that pcv hose as well, the air box looks like getting more oil than I want to get in intake.
Any one know if there was a modified Passenger side valve cover?
I may try changing Passenger side valve cover aswell.

I swapped out the drivers side valve cover for modified model. It helped tremendously decrease oil vaccumed into intake pcv hose.
I still use a oil catch can to keep as much oil out of intake as possible, much less oil in catch can with new valve cover.
Passenger side wasn't as bad but I think I'm going to add catch can that pcv hose as well, the air box looks like getting more oil than I want to get in intake.
Any one know if there was a modified Passenger side valve cover?
I may try changing Passenger side valve cover aswell.
No. The pcv is only on the driver's side, so no need for a passenger side update.

The updated design on the driver's side helped my oil consumption too, congrats to you for getting it done.

Back