• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hauling ATVs and Bikes

tralme98

Hey Guys! Long time reader first time poster, I recently purchased my very own Avy! I have a ATV and really liked riding it and want to start up again but trails are so far away.  :(
Have any of you hauled bikes/ ATVs in the back with out a trailer? How does it drive? What kind of MPG should I expect?

First welcome to the site.
You need to check on the width and length of your ATV to make sure it's not too big to fit. Some members have found it hard to fit due to being a wide ATV. You also need to check length so you don't have to worry about having to lower the midgate and remove rear window for it to fit. Not bad to transport that way when clean and in the summer but if very dirty or in winter it could be messy in the cab when wind blows stuff inside. You also have to consider storage space for the ramp needed.
Otherwise I'm sure you won't have handling problems and gas mileage should not be affected very much by an ATV.

Here is a shot of another member with a full size Harley Roadglide in the bed of his AV. (I don't remember his name or how he got it in and out of the AV though.)

Attachments

• av hd.jpg
    av hd.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 139
The only problem I can see is that the ATV will rub on the sides of the bed and wreck the gutter system and seals. Ill have to test fit it on a nice day sometime. Thanks for your input!

Run out and get yourself a Home Depot 6x10 trailer with built in ride up on lift gate....  Once you have one you will not want to be without.  Makes taking stuff a lot easier.
I get 15 MPG towing with mine. 

15 mpg, huh not bad. I'll have to consider it in the long run but for now i'm unfortunately without a trailer budget. Time to save up!

I'm willing to bet you will get better mileage with the ATV in the bed than on a trailer. As soon as you get 2 more wheels on the ground mileage suffers.

BTW, the Cat rubbed, but the Rancher didn't.

I've done lots of motorcycle hauling both in the bed and with a trailer.  With decent ramps, I much prefer the cargo in the bed of the truck than on the trailer.  Ease of driving, MPGs, etc.

I used to haul my 2005 Honda Rancher ES in the bed of min, It would catch the cups on the gutter system when backing out but with the midgate down I could close the tailgate. With the midgate up the back tires sat over the crack between the tailgate and the bed.

I get 18.5 mpg  hauling a quad and a bike .

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_avalanche_with_quads.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_avalanche_with_quads.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 68
I want to do a midgate sub box in the future, I'll have to keep the bed length in mind. Thanks for all the input!

AirJunky said:
I'm willing to bet you will get better mileage with the ATV in the bed than on a trailer. As soon as you get 2 more wheels on the ground mileage suffers.

BTW, the Cat rubbed, but the Rancher didn't.

Nice setup!

I think that if you are wanting to haul a 4 wheeler I don't think you are going to have room for a midgate box. Unless its a small quad. Mine was a 350 rancher and sat right at the seam between the tailgate and the bed.

The driver side rear tire was in a hole in this pic, it did not squat the truck that bad  :laugh: it made loading it much easier  (y)

I'm building the box myself so I should be able to figure something out. And I wouldn't mind taking out the box to haul my wheeler anyway. Maybe I should look at some helper springs  :laugh:

Back