• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

swapping the running boards, for an exhaust setup

AvyMan2093

So I have this idea to swap out my exhaust for a new one. I have plans to swap out for long tubes (doug thorleys) and instead of going straight out the rear, I want to plumb it out along where the running boards would be and incorporate a step on them.  Kind of the basic look would be like the older corvettes with the side pipes.

Has anyone done this with their Avy? I emailed an exhaust shop here in Phoenix and they said

"Well on top of clearance issues under the frame, there is also no place to put a good flowmaster or magnaflow on the outside of your frame. So we will also have sound and heat issues. To be honest that truck really isn't designed for side pipes and it would really end up being more of a hassle then a gain. Unfortunately you are a little limited on options with that truck due to size/space restrictions. I would recommend either going two pipes out the same side in front of the tire or one pipe behind each tire."

Now to each their own, but I'm tired of having dual out the rear, they flex to much and break my cladded bumper, I don't want it piped out behind the rear tires, (45 or 90 degrees's) because any rocks will mar the finish of the exhaust. 

Please any thoughts or tips would be amazing!

Take a look at this thread.....

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,149039.0.html

The exhaust shop is obviously not very good and only wants to deal with nice, tidy stock setups. No imagination whatsoever. Unable to think outside of the box.  There has not been a heat issue for me in the 8 years they have been installed on my truck.  The only trouble I have had is with the shotty workmanship with installation and poor build skills (every shop takes short cuts and charges a premium based on the actual need, not the actual work done). The pipes are relatively heavy, requiring additional hangers.  Also, the torque of the engine causing the "twist" will stress welds and bolted locations, so plan on building in some flexibility into it with numerous mounting locations for the hangers, etc.

That said...

I was tired of messing with exhaust repairs.  They are very costly and never get done the way I instruct the shops to do it.  If you know someone that builds hot rods and is willing to help out, then that's the rout I would take. Leave the "Professionals" out of it.  This is a love affair, and they see it only as a job.

You're still going to have debris hitting the pipes from the front tires.    (n)

MS38W, thank you so much for the advice, your pipes were a bit of an inspiration I love that look. I agree these guys don't really have the desire to help me, at least not to the level I'm looking for, guess I'll take my business elsewhere.

RONTHEHANDYMANGA, yeah I was thinking about that, but I dont think it will be as bad as if they were piped behind the rears  (since they're under power constantly, whereas the fronts are only when I'm in 4x4).

ronthehandymanga said:
You're still going to have debris hitting the pipes from the front tires.    (n)

He's right about this.  The entire length of the pipes were riddled with bits of road tar and other debris, especially where they exited from under the vehicle behind the front tires.  Since they get hot, things tend to stick.  I never did find anything to clean them without some old fashioned elbow grease being applied in ample quantities. One thing I thought about doing, was to wrap them with some black exhaust wrap, leaving only the tip exposed.  I hated the idea of covering up all of that mirror finish, but I also hated how cruddy they would get and cleaning was such a bear.  If you have some attractive mud flaps or other such rock guard installed, it would certainly help with debris.

Back