• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New NOS 2002 Avalance front bumper cover

Randy

Charter Member
PM 2020
SM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2008
SM 2003
I finally found a NOS bumper cover for my Avalanche on ebay for $400.00.. Been looking ever since some guy cut in front of me and slammed on the brakes, it was his fault and the CHP was on my side.. He's was in a rental car with no insurance so I had to go after Hertz for the money.

Only real damage was the bumper cover, drivers side headlight, fog light and a bracket underneath.. They gave me $2,500, the estimates were a little more but since I can fix it all my self I'm coming out way ahead on the money.. I'm into it now for under $900 and that's replacing both headlights,both turn signals, both fog lights, one bracket and finally the bumper cover..

Attachments

• 20160115_122025 - Copy.jpg
    20160115_122025 - Copy.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20160115_121548 - Copy.jpg
    20160115_121548 - Copy.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20160115_121643 - Copy.jpg
    20160115_121643 - Copy.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20140815-2 - Copy.jpg
    20140815-2 - Copy.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 35
Boy did you get lucky finding a 02 bumper.  (y)

I have one sitting in my garage that I picked up a few years ago from a body shop.  Paid $100 for it.

Of course, after my son backed into a big assed rock a week after he got his license, I need a rear bumper.

Wickman said:
I have one sitting in my garage that I picked up a few years ago from a body shop.  Paid $100 for it.

Of course, after my son backed into a big assed rock a week after he got his license, I need a rear bumper.

If it's for a 2002 2500 they are hard to come by, they are not made anymore. You can get a reconditioned one that's been repaired and painted but that would not look right and they cost $500 plus $250 shipping.

Only ones left are sitting in the back of some dealers parts storage and forgotten about like this one was. They were cleaning out the back room and found it taking up space and had been there for many years so they put it up on ebay to get rid of it..

It was a steal at $400 including shipping.

MS03 2500 said:
Boy did you get lucky finding a 02 bumper.  (y)

Tell me about it... Been looking for a year now, figured there's some left out there but finding one is another story.. Good old ebay, you can find and get almost anything sooner or later..

When I had same sort of damage to mine back in DEC 2012, they used a factory 2nd. They had to sand it smooth, paint it black to match and clear coat it. It looked fantastic! Then I noticed it did not line up around the the headlamps on drivers side. They used a heat gun and pry bay and got it aligned but scratched the paint. They had to paint the whole bumper again. Boy did their lose their butt$ on that job.

Attachments

• Bumper1.jpg
    Bumper1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 80
That's the problem with some reconditioned one's that have been in an collision and could be a little distorted and they use a heat gun to try and straighten them out. All good until it's bolted up and then the body shop has to massage it to fit right.. If there are cracks or splits the use staples melting them into the back side to strengthen the repair at the crack, then special filler for the repair and then finally paint to hide the repairs...

That would be fine if my cladding was painted but it's all still in great shape.. Mine didn't look bad and unless you walked right up to it..

After I put the new one on I'm going try to fix the old and see how it comes out...

It wasn't a reconditioned one, they showed it to me before the install.  It was a factory second, so probably all they could get their hands on. It was only a 1/4" off, but it stuck way out to me so I made them fix it. You can get a plastic welder for not much money online.

Yea the plastic can get warped or distorted even when new..

I do have a plastic welder and will try it out on the crack. I also have some of the staples they use to melt into the crack from the back to strengthen repair area. I want to try and find a cover at the junk yard that is beyond repair to practice on first before I attempt it.

Randy said:
Yea the plastic can get warped or distorted even when new..

I do have a plastic welder and will try it out on the crack. I also have some of the staples they use to melt into the crack from the back to strengthen repair area. I want to try and find a cover at the junk yard that is beyond repair to practice on first before I attempt it.

Dude that is some very tough plastic. Trust me I sanded all of it smooth by hand.  :p

Back