• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Repairs

robinj6976

I have a 2002 Chevy avalanche z71 with 205,000 miles it needs repair work done the cost is $5,800 it is the drive shaft, braking system and brake lines. Does the repair price seem to much?

is that you doing the work, or a shop, either way I'd find another parts place or another shop, yea seems high, way high!

Didit

What would they do to the drive shaft replace?
What are they doing to the braking system?

Did they give a detailed breakdown of what the repairs are?

There's a lot of parts in the "braking system"...

Didit said:
Not 4800 dollars worth, sheesh

Start adding it up... Then have a shop put their mark up on the parts and add the labor..

Brake control module
Brake control valve
Brake lines (hard)
Brake lines  (soft)
Baking plates
Rotors
Calipers
Brake pads
Master cylinder

well my kind sir, i'm guessing that ALL those parts don't have to be replaced, yea if your gonna rebuild the ENTIRE system with NEW< then possibly.  I know the rotors and pads alone is gonna be about 4 bills or so, again depending on where you get them, and wether you use OEM or stock replacements.

Didit

No I know most likely not the whole system, but we don't know. I was just following ygmn  "Did they give a detailed breakdown of what the repairs are?" and pointing out there are a lot of parts in the system so depending on what he needs replaced it could be a fair price..

So many times people ask for help but give no details on the problem, symptoms, what they have done to it already or even year, model and size motor they have.  

Way too little information given to be able to provide an accurate answer...

Didit said:
I know the rotors and pads alone is gonna be about 4 bills or so, again depending on where you get them, and wether you use OEM or stock replacements.

Didit

did all 4 of mine for less than $300 for very good stuff -- drill / slotted / zinc plated rotors / evolution pads with hardware kits and silicone grease, delivered. ebay vendor named brakemotive. been using them for years on many makes / models. never an issue.

oh, and that whole price is stupid expensive. look elsewhere.

that wouldn't be a GM store would it? 

I just love it when somebody posts up a question, and then never comes back to check on the thread they started... 

They were probably scared off, if someone told me it would cost 5,800 bucks to fix it and I had a 02 I'd trade it. I don't think a 02s value is more than that.

Would be interesting if the dealer was trying to get them to sell the truck to them.. Then find out it needed Ujoints and $200 worth of brakes...

But yea otherwise for $6,000 buy a different truck...

Not to be a jerk, but $5,800.00 worth of brake repairs and a drive shaft.  Please go to another maintenance shop. A entire brake job (lines, valves, rotors, pads, calibers and labor) is not more than $1400.00 with top quality parts. It is always a good idea to get a second opinion or estimate. I spent only $3200 for a complete overall of brakes (upgraded rotors, pads, calibers and hoses), shocks, tires, alternator, water pump, battery, belts, fluids and complete replacement of all hoses.

Amazon sells genuine GM rotors for $65 a corner.

Back