• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

PAC vs Low line converter

Detrain80

I been doing a lot of research on installing a Low line converter for my 03 avy w/bose and ran into a PAC add on....
Has anyone used either one and how did it work out?

I was on board with the LOC til I seen you wouldn't have to splice any wires with the pac add on

All depends on what you have and what you plan to do.

I have the same setup in my truck and I removed the amplifier, spliced into the factory cables and using the OEM headunit at this time. My rear audio entertainment system is still hooked up but won't work right the way I currently have it hooked up. (I spliced in prior to the entertainment system so if I use it the rear speakers will get the output from the entertainment system... It is an easy fix... Just have to move the splice to the backside of the entertainment system instead of the wire harness from the floor. Just haven't done it yet.

I used a PAC unit that allows me to pull off the headunits outputs with the wire splices. It has RCA outputs and an amp turn on built into it.

You can use a PAC amp bypass kit that essentially plugs into the rear of your headunit. This will do basically the same thing but at the radio. I haven't used one so I don't know if it just has the RCA's for your amp or if it also allows you to feed the speaker feeds back into the factory locations. If not then you will have to run new wires or still splice into the factory harness to get access to the factory speaker wiring.

If you do a new head unit you need a little bit fancier unit. Especially if you have steering wheel controls.

I am running my speakers currently right off the deck until I get the new amps wired up and it does seem to sound clearer but very little power output.

Also realize you will be loosing your subwoofer if you bypass the BOSE amp... There is a 6" subwoofer mounted to the front of your console. The factory BOSE amplifier is mounted under the center console storage area. You can see the front of it if you pull out your drink holders.

My console is currently out waiting for me to have time to rewire the PC I have located in the normal amplifier location.

Now I'm afraid that what I planned on doing is even worth it..
I wanna keep my factory head unit ... And some friends had an amp (1000wt sony xplod) and like a 8inch mtx sub laying around and really just because I had a little something , I was just trying to add something for nothing (or as close to nothing as possible)

Would I be able to run the wires connected to that sub in the front and hook it up to my mtx sub?

Use the PAC add a amp adapter it's way easier that way.

MS03 2500 said:
Use the PAC add a amp adapter it's way easier that way.
^^^^
what he said, I think the easiest and most cost effective way to accomplish what you're trying to do is the PAC piggyback unit

If all you want to do is add a sub woofer to the system then as others have said, the add an amp is not a bad deal.

It basically splices into the factory headunit wires and provides RCA outputs that you can run to an amplifier.

Just check which pair of wires it pulls from and you will want to use the crossover in the amp assuming it has one. You don't want to run the sub full range.

The BOSE amp is not very clean so you do NOT want to take the output from it unless your using a totally different unit. Just be aware you will have this BOSE subwoofer also running with whatever else your doing.

The front speakers will run all the time but the chimes broadcast through the front speakers.

Rear speakers don't broadcast the chimes but if you have the rear audio entertainment system then whever it is enabled the rear channels will broadcast the secondary source which will sound weird coming from the sub. Of course if you don't have the rear audio system it won't be an issue.

I would be more concerned with trying to run 1000 watts through an 8" speaker...

You want your amps and your speaker to match up...

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
If all you want to do is add a sub woofer to the system then as others have said, the add an amp is not a bad deal.

It basically splices into the factory headunit wires and provides RCA outputs that you can run to an amplifier.

I would be more concerned with trying to run 1000 watts through an 8" speaker...

You want your amps and your speaker to match up...

Rodney

The Sony XM and XMN (AKA XPLOD) 1000W amps were drastically overrated, they were 1000W max @14.4V when bridged. 
They're real output is more like 125W RMS x 2. I would be terribly concerned w/ powering a random 8"
Rod makes a good point though, check the specs on the sub, if there is any chance you might be overpowering it w/ that amp, start with the signal gain all the way down when you first fire it up and turn it up slowly until it starts to distort, then back it off a little bit and you should be reasonably OK. this should get you the most excursion out of the sub without overpowering and damaging it.

Back