• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GOOD BACK UP CAM?

03z71vinny

Bought a boat last fall , and my 03 does not have a back up cam. Was looking at adding one . Was wondering if anyone has added one and what brand that went with .... Here's the one im eye balling ... trying to stay around the $100 mark

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-Waterproof-Built-into-Adjustable/dp/B000E1PXES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455717403&sr=8-2&keywords=back+up+cam

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Reverse-Parking-License/dp/B00YYFQY0W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1455717403&sr=8-8&keywords=back+up+cam

Couple things to consider...

Adding a backup camera will require a way to get the signal back to the cab and will require some wiring regardless.

There are fully wired versions and some that are wireless from camera to cab. Be aware that the wireless versions will interfere with your radio when active. They are very noisy and I have heard of people loosing the radio signal and some other signals such as cell phone when the camera is active. If mounted in the tailgate it will require drilling into the tailgate to pass wires out of it so make sure you understand how to do it or have a shop that does this do it for you.

Rodney

I added one about ten years ago. NO idea what brand. Had it hooked to the bumper right above the tail hitch area. Worked fantastic for backing into our travel trailer.

I just use it now for making sure I don't run over lowered rice racers when backing out of a parking spot.

A lot of shops, car toys for example offer free backup camera when you replace you radio head unit. Maybe that would be an option to consider?

I dont mind doing a little wiring and running into the cab. Last time i checked with a shop about changing out my head unit they wanted big money ... Something about having the Bose sound system , the factory amp required a adapter. A simple $100 head unit was gonna run over $300 due to the adapter . 

03z71vinny said:
I dont mind doing a little wiring and running into the cab. Last time i checked with a shop about changing out my head unit they wanted big money ... Something about having the Bose sound system , the factory amp required a adapter. A simple $100 head unit was gonna run over $300 due to the adapter . 

I would call Crutchfields. They helped me a lot with the adapter. Probably a lot cheaper than a radio shop.

Got my cam ordered yesterday and was looking for some help with the wiring . Going to try the install this weekend . Thoughts are to tie in at the reverse light power wire- Is this correct and which wire is it? Any pointers from some DIYers...

The wireless options looks nice but have heard many mixed reviews on quality going the wireless route...

http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Universal-Waterproof-Rear-view-License/dp/B00QTGXYIE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Got the above cam installed yesterday. Easy install and comes off/on when put into reverse . Color in the monitor is not that great but you get what you pay for . Will post up some photos soon.

Back