• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I need some exhaust advice please

lowcountryChevy

:help:
Well first off let me say thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all feedback

I'm wanting to do a little exhaust work to my avalanche, I'm starting off small for now while I save up to do in the entire system.
I have had a lot of friends back in the day that had cherry bombs and when I just got to looking I recently found out about the Cherry Bomb extreme which I am very interested in. I've read a couple posts people put up on here about putting the extremes on their truck and watched tons of videos.

I'm looking for a deep deep tone I don't really like the popping crackling sound of the glasspack, I'm not just trying to make it as loud as possible I want the specific tone. I also I'm interested in the Dynomax bullets. The Cherry Bomb extreme seems like it would be good from my setup since I can get one that is 1 in 2 out so all I have to do is cut out the muffler and add a little bit of pipe. If I want to do the bullet I would either have to get two of them or one and do a y out .
Everything is still stock on the truck and I plan on keeping rest of the exhaust pipe after the muffler to help with the sound

First welcome to the site!

If you read through the mods: exhaust section you will find many opinions on which type of exhaust to install on your AV.
There are many things to consider not just budget but what performance gain are you desiring and what sound level do you want? Are you and your family sensitive to drone in the cab? Also things like how long to you plan to keep your AV and are you interested in a lifetime warranty? Then you have things to consider such as what type of road/off-road conditions do you drive such as road salts etc.?
Sound is such a subjective thing that I always advise someone to try and attend an AV GTG (get together) so they can get rides in various AVs with different exhaust so you can decide if the sound is good or annoying to you and your family since the computer doesn't always give accurate sound and what system may sound like music to one person's ear may be just noise to another.
Also some mufflers sound good on a car but can sound different installed on an AV.
My personal preference is to save money and get a Corsa Sport Performance CAT back system since it's easy to install even by yourself, has a lifetime warranty and is famous for NO Drone in the cab yet has a nice deep throaty exhaust note at startup and acceleration but quiet at cruise.
This link has set for your 2002 AV.
http://www.corsaperformance.com/viewpart.aspx?year=2002&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche&partnum=14250&cfg=282

Awesome thank you very much for your timely reply. Yeah you're right I do need to consider the performance aspect of it also  I hadn't really taken that into consideration .  I'm just itching to do something to my truck because I wanted an Avalanche for about 10 years and I finally got one .
Luckily I don't have to worry about the family hearing the drone since its just me and my girlfriend and she grew up around old muscle cars and jacked up mud trucks in the south so I probably won't get anywhere near as loud as what we are used to. I'm not going for the overly obnoxious loud like some people like.
I think you had a really great point with the get together I'll definitely have to keep my eyes open for one coming up in my area.
I did some research on old posts before posting mine but I'll definitely go back and look for that section you mentioned I'm sure there's a lot of helpful information

I had a rattle in my exhaust at around 145k miles. It was annoying as hell, especially in a drive thru. I guess I'm a cheap SOB because I wasn't going to pay a grand for new exhaust pipes when I probably didn't need it all. I have a buddy with a Silverado & the same engine who has a Flowmaster 50 on it. Sounds great to me. So I picked up the same one & had a local shop weld it in place. $200 later (muffler & install), the rattle is gone & the Av has a gnarly growl to it. Not too loud, certainly not droning, and definitely no grocery getter.

https://youtu.be/AUqAatJsmwo

I just had the factory muffler replaced with a flow master 30 series.  Slight drone in cabin at one rpm. Drove it on a 2000 mile trip. Easily changed it with setting cruise on different mph.

lowcountryChevy said:
:help:
Well first off let me say thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all feedback

I'm wanting to do a little exhaust work to my avalanche, I'm starting off small for now while I save up to do in the entire system.

I could've had a magnaflow added to mine back when for like $100-150 but I knew I wanted a Corsa. So I waited and kept that money for a Corsa. I feel like an idiot redoing things.

Save once, buy once, never need to mess with it again.

Yeah that's a pretty smart way of going about things, I wish I would have thought that way in my younger years that would have saved me a lot of money in car audio equipment lol

I want to thank everybody again for your input. I've been thinking about it and I'm not going to do a full system I have other things that I really need to focus on with the truck. If I do anything I'll just switch out that muffler and call it good. I've been watching a lot of videos of our trucks with flowmaster super 44 I realized the Cherry Bomb isn't going to give me the sound I'm wanting
once I get a new muffler on it I'll take some pictures and try to put up a video

Back