• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front leveling kit and shock sensor not reaching

hamcomm

I recently installed a supreme suspension front end leveling kit.  Basic aluminum over shock kind, 1.5".  I had read many of the posts on her about leveling kits working with the LTZ with no issues for the electric dampening shock set up.  However, after the install today my mechanic indicated that he is not able to reconnect the sensors as they are to short to reach now.  I have read from others on here this is a known issue moving into a full blown lift kit set up and such, but nothing has come up with this being a problem with leveling kits. 
I am looking for some thoughts on what may be the cause here...fitment after install of the spacers?  Shock positioning possibly?  Also if it's not a possible fit issue what options I have to reconnect with an extension plug-in (does one even exist?), anyone splice and rewire to add length before? Looking for options I have to get my Avy back up and running safely on the road again soon.  :help:

This is on a stock 2007 Avalanche LTZ.

Thanks,
-Hambone

yeah these are the kinds of things that keep me from paying others to work on my stuff. How bad is the difference when you tried? not reach at all? to tight? can you loosen the wires further up to get some slack?
Many mechanics, especially today don't do custom and aftermarket. My wife's Xterra has a complete aftermarket steering system and I watched two alignment guys (who may not have hit puberty yet) stare and scratch their heads in confusion when I explained how to adjust it and showed them that it had about 300 percent more adjustment available than stock.

I am having what I think is a similar issue. 2010 LTZ Autoride. 

I installed the Supreme Suspensions Spacers on the front and now the Autoride Connector that clips on the top of the strut rod is in a bind. I was able to get it to clip in, but am worried about it being forced. The Rear of the connector is pressing on the Lip of the opening.  Are there Connector Extensions or replacement clips that are straight instead of a 90 degree?  Or perhaps just 1/2 inch longer.

2ql62s3.jpg

This is the exact fit problem.  Just won't reach with that 90 degree.  Well, the mechanic wouldn't connect it.  I can force fit it but one good bump and that sucker may be gone.  The other is the little plastic arm that connects to the what I assume is some sort of leveling sensor for the autoride.  I don't have a pic, know what it's called specifically, it just connects with two push on rubber ends.  These won't reconnect now either. 

Anyone get this solved?  My truck is sitting at the shop right now with the exact same problem.  Wish I had found this thread earlier. :E:

You need to get the strut spacer/leveling kit that goes on the bottom of the strut. Then the top is in the stock location and the plug works like normal.

AVY202 said:
You need to get the strut spacer/leveling kit that goes on the bottom of the strut. Then the top is in the stock location and the plug works like normal.

Do you know of one/any off the top of your head?

Rough County has them. You can find them on E-Bay also. They are the ones that are "U" shaped.

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1307-8.html

You can just grind that lip down on the shock tower until the clip fully engages. Only grind the lip for the width of the connector.

blu_fuz said:
You can just grind that lip down on the shock tower until the clip fully engages. Only grind the lip for the width of the connector.

I actually just stopped by an offroad shop and that is what they suggested.  Either that, or going with a kit that has a smaller spacer up top and makes up the difference on the bottom.

So I took my truck back up to hopefully get it worked out.  They got the front done by notching out the lip as suggested, but now they have a problem with the rear.  They told me the rear shock extenders do not fit.  Anyone have the same problem?  At this point our options are 1) figure out a solution with existing parts, 2) fabricate some new shock extenders, 3) take out the rear parts and get a new kit for the rear.

I'm getting so sick of this.  :E: :E: :E:  All help and suggestions are welcome.

Back