• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replace c221 or hard wire

I would replace it, remember that is a Airbag circuit so make sure it is disabled.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=67659.0

Attachments

• c221.GIF
    c221.GIF
    51.3 KB · Views: 44
Where is the cheapest place to get one. 

Th mechanic said they are costly, and he would just solder them together. He also couldn't say it was this connector. He said it was the first step, the second being the clock spring.

All this might have to wait till I get back from Vegas in a few weeks.

I thought you replaced the clock spring already.

Let us know if you need bus fare home. >:D

We had a few pm's Rodney

redheadedrod said:
How did they determine the connector is bad?

Great question.... not like they go bad sitting there...

Unless mechanic broke it trying to take apart?

Sorry guys, I got called in for a double yesterday.  The receptionist said it was the connector.

When I went there yesterday he said he could not rule out the connector. There was resistance thru the connector. However, when they unplugged it they couldn't get a hard code. The passanger side would throw a hard code when unplugged. So he said we would have to start at that connector, and move from there.

He did say f it was his truck, he would just hard wire around that connector. He stressed how this is a problem that gm should put a recall out for, becaus they have had several trucks with this problem. Some being the connector, some being the clock spring.

Well generally one side of it goes bad if that is the case... And if you pull the pins/sockets and inspect them as well as the wire on it you can tell if it has had issues.

If the wiring is black or the socket shows signs of melting then it has gotten too hot and is bad.

I would be interested in hearing how they can test the resistance of the connector...

You would have to disconnect the wire from both ends and insure there was nothing tied into the wire anywhere. You would also have to take into effect the resistance of the wire its self and the connector. They all have resistances... You can really only check to make sure the wire is connected from one end to the other. Checking resistance would be worthless if the wire has any other wires tied into it or if it is of any length.

Checking for a voltage drop at the connector would be a more reasonably test. But that would assume you know what the voltage drop would be on a normal wire. And you would have to test across the connector with the power applied which would be a bad idea with an air bag circuit.

Just like a battery cable I just replaced... When you check the "resistance" of the new wire and the old wire this foot long 4gauge wire shows a similar but slight resistance. Nothing amiss... But with the truck running and showing 14.5 at one end of the old wire it showed 13.5 at the other end. While it was allowing MOST the voltage through it was not letting it all through.. After replacing the wire with a new one I was back up to 14.5 volts on both ends of the wire.

So really, not knowing what else is involved in your issue and not looking at the diagram I would question that the connector is bad. Unless they can show physical proof that it is bad. And if it is bad and it is the same connector that goes to the clock spring it could very well just be a bad clock spring...

Rodney

blazzinbird said:
So if. Decide to replace the connector, can it be any 4 wire connctor?
As long as the new connector is rated to carry the right amperage sure.

The only issue would be if the wire depends on the correct resistance to work. Ie if there is a sensor in that line that reads resistance then it won't likely be correct. Also needs to be able to lock together so it doesn't come apart on you. If it is in the interior you don't have to worry about it being weather proof.

Back