• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Late Model Tailgate Bowtie

philsaitta

Anyone know how to or has separated the gold inlay from the chrome surround and backing? Some of the earlier bowties were just glued together and could be pried apart. Want to paint the gold part body color but don't want to destroy a brand new part part. TIA.

It may be easier and quicker to just sand and paint the outside of the bowtie then clearcoat over everything. I have done that a couple of times and it seems to hold up well. You can even clearcoat over decals to help them hold up if you decide to make a fancy bowtie too.

The way the inserts sits in the chrome backing, it would be impossible to mask it to paint the base and clear. If I don't get an answer, I may buy another one and "destructively test" it. TFTR.

What did you finally end up doing Philsaitta? I am not sure why, but the chrome around the outside of my tailgate emblem is wrinkling and buckling. The insert was custom painted blue, so I don't want to destroy it. Just trying to figure out what to do here.

Does anyone have a spare tailgate bowtie for 2nd generation?...used is fine. I mostly care about the chrome part.

Thank you,

Tom

Just an FYI, on my 2010 I removed all tailgate emblems but was unhappily surprised to find 4 small holes under the Chevy bowtie, presumably to align the bowtie during installation. I removed all decals, sides and rear (except the LTZ), but ended up putting the tailgate bowtie back (after covering in black vinyl) to cover up the 4 alignment holes...

Back