• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Radio

bamabucket

I have a problem that probably has been discussed before but I couldn't figure out how to define the search to get the answer.  Recently, when I get in the AV and start it up, the satellite radio has switched to a different source and station (from XM 1 to AM) and the clock shows the incorrect time.  The RAP seems to work and the change doesn't happen every time after startup. The condition is like I have experienced in the past when I disconnected the battery to do some electrical work and the radio is on a different source and station after the battery is reconnected.  I haven't done any electrical work in quite a while and this problem just seemed to come from nowhere.  Any troubleshooting guidance would be appreciated.   

Have the battery load tested.

I'd check your battery cables, sounds like ones loose!

Didit

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wouldn't have thought of the load test or the possibility of loose battery connections, but I will check for both of those conditions.  Since I haven't noticed any other electrical problems, I didn't think of the basics. I would be very happy if either of those conditions would be the problem because they are easy to correct. 

I finally got around to correcting this problem.  I had procrastinated because it didn't seem like much of a problem and was only a small annoyance when the radio would change from XM to FM by itself and the clock would not show the correct time overnight.  That changed last week when it became a problem I couldn't ignore.  Last Friday, my Wife and I drove to the gym without any problem.  The AV started right up and ran OK until we got there.  I shut it off, and immediately lost all electrical power.  No dash lights, remotes wouldn't work, starter wouldn't engage, etc.  It was just like the battery had disconnected itself just as I shut down.  We went in and exercised for about an hour and I prepared myself for having to get a tow back to the house so I could troubleshoot the problem.  I went out, opened the door, and the power was back on.  We started the AV and drove home with no problems.  I opened the hood to start the troubleshooting at the battery, and found that the side terminal bolt for the negative cable was loose - about half a turn out.  I removed both terminals, cleaned them (even though they looked OK) and re tightened them.  I did do a load test on the battery and it showed OK. 

What puzzles me about this is how the loose ground connection was OK at the start of the trip, broke connection just when I shut the engine off, and then was restored by itself over the period of an hour.  The loose connection was very obvious when I checked it when we got home but is a mystery to me that it would correct itself.  We were lucky - didn't need a tow, didn't need to replace any parts, and the fix was easy and free.  It was so basic that I kick myself for not checking it right away and a lesson that it is best to start with the very basics when troubleshooting an electrical problem.

That is why I hate side terminal batteries they vibrate loose, converted mine batteries to top post.

I didn't realize that was a common problem - I'll be checking it periodically.  I may consider switching to top posts the next time I replace the battery - the battery I have now has only side posts.  I thought about using thread locker on the terminal bolts but that probably isn't a good idea.

That's why I run the OPTIMA BLUETOP  D34M dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery.. It has 5/16 stainless steel posts that don't come loose like the soft lead side post do. They make it real easy to add accessories...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/bluetop/optima-batteries-8016-103-d34m-bluetop-marine-boat-deep-cycle-starting/

Attachments

• OPTIMA_BT_D34M.jpg
    OPTIMA_BT_D34M.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 42
Another battery you may want to look at are Diehard Platinum/Odyssey they are tin coated brass and do not corrode so you don't have to keep cleaning them

The Diehard Platinum/Odyssey battery looks good but Sears has stopped selling it. From what I can find on the net, the Odyssey is the same battery that Sears re-branded when they sold it as the Platinum.  The Odyssey or Optima may be a good choice to consider for my next battery.   

Other than the price they both are good batteries. I have used both brands and they last over 7 years

They defiantly cost more, but they typically last 2 to 3 times longer..

Standard lead/acid battery life 3 to 5 years, when they pass 3 years they could fail anytime and if you travel or live in a area that winter brings snow and don't want to get stranded. It's good practice to put in a new battery when it hits 3 years..

The AGM batteries will last 5 to 7 years or longer. I've been getting 7 plus years out of the Optima's in my cars, boat and AV...

Back