• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Auto headlights stay on always. No DRL's ever

japjrthib

Guys, 2004 Avalanche base model here; no cladding. I had a major issue with the main wiring for the truck a few months back. Had to wait months for the main wiring harness as it was on back order through GM. Anyway, ever since this was replaced my auto headlight feature hasn't worked. My headlights, dash lights, license plate lights, brake lights, etc... stay on all the time regardless if it's day or night. I want my auto feature back! It's driving me nuts.
I bought amber DRL's right before the issue with the harness and haven't even got to see them yet. lol
My plan was to do the FTDRL mod. So I need some help figuring out where to start. I need to figure out firstly what's wrong and why is my auto feature not working? Could it possibly be that they forgot to connect the wire to the ambient light sensor when they reinstalled my dash? If I remove the dash bezel am I able to see/reach the plug under the sensor to see if it's plugged in? Anything else I can check and troubleshot to try to get this straight??

Thanks for any help. Kasey

The light sensor would be my guess as a starting point

Thanks for the reply...
Have you ever fooled with this sensor?
Aside from just checking to see if it's even plugged in, should I check voltages on the wires/plug? Do you know if it's even visible and reachable with just removing the dash bezel? I'm really dreading having to remove the dash board just to fix this issue. :/

No I haven't done it, but from what I remember you have to put I resistor on it.

I'll take a look Wednesday and post something for you.

BTW what happened to your harness that you had to replace it.

I read about adding the resistors. I'm pretty sure that's just to disable the auto function...

Not really sure what happened. Locked keys in the truck, pop a lock opened the door, alarm went off so I stuck the key in the ignition and turned it to shut the alarm off. After that it was electrical mayhem. None of the windows worked, some light wouldn't turn on when door opened, gauges went crazy, etc.... It took the shop a while to finally figure out what was wrong. It was a bus wire in the main wire harness. Truck was in the shop for 3 months waiting for the harness through GM. Smh

Geesh that is good to know, let me see what I can figure out.

Do you know if they did anything to the BCM

As far as I know they just changed the main wiring harness.... I hated seeing the dash out and my whole truck in pieces. Replacing that harness fixed all issues, but I've had this lighting problem since. I planned on bringing it back to them to look at but time got away from me and now the place moved or closed down and I don't have the dudes contact info.
I'm hoping it's just as simple as the sensor not being plugged in. That would kind of be too easy though! Lol

Do you have a little bubble sticking out of the middle of your dash in the front?

That is where the sensor is. You MAY be able to access it through where the radio is otherwise you may have to pull off the dash pad to gain access to it.

You can also turn off the auto headlight mode by rotating your headlight switch counterclockwise and let it spring back.

That would tell you pretty quick if it is the sensor or not.

Yes the actual sensor is still intact on the dash... The problem I'm having with it is just that. If I turn it to the "headlight on" position nothing will change. It's already on the "headlights on" position all the time even though the knob is set to auto. So turning the knob does absolutely nothing. I'm gonna have it eventually where the DRL's are on full time but I still want my headlights and all other lights to go out during the day like they are supposed to.

I'm sure I can at least see it with the dash bezel removed. I'd like to see at least if was even plugged in or not. As soon as I get some time I'll fool around with it....

Edit: I think I missed what u said at first....
Ur saying turn it to the left. It's been so long since it's worked I forget what it even does if turning it that way. I don't think anything changes if I turn it either way. It's like they're just stuck on all the time when the ignition is on.

I'll confirm that tomorrow.

Yes, turn to left. Should be spring loaded and should shut off lights.

Also, if you put in parking light position you should NOT have headlights. Only parking lights.

Could be a bad headlight switch.

Can you turn your interior lights on and off with it?

The interior lights work fine and all other functions of the switch work as they are supposed to. So it has to be something with the sensor and not the switch. Thanks for the help and input on this guys. As soon as I get the time I'll pull the bezel and do some more troubleshooting.

I'll update what I find and what finally fixed it when I get there.....

Yup, if your switch works as intended then it is most likely the sensor. Hopefully it is just not plugged in right.

Rodney

Back