• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Door Panel Broke

PerfectReign

SM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
Help!

My door panel on the passenger rear broke off. It seems there's a white plastic tab that should be holding on to something. Not sure where it was supposed to go.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• av_broken_door.jpg
    av_broken_door.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 124
Those big white plastic "hooks" on the door panel just rest in the holes in the doors.

They do not "attach" to anything other than the door panel itself.

Okay, thanks.  I just need to go to a stealership and see if I can buy some.

Both a black and white one broke.

you will need a new door panel.. as that is not a part you can buy.

Try used parts.... much cheaper...

once those plastic clip breaks your panel will never really be secured and will shake rattle and roll all the time

Ahh, thank you.

That can't be hard considering the eight million or so GMT 800 vehicles out there.

ygmn is right.

Individual parts like that and even trim pieces are not available by themselves.

Switches and such you should be able to get with little or no problem.

I had to buy a complete door panel just to replace a piece of wood grained trim that got snagged and broken in half.

:E:

And be extra careful when selecting your replacement door panel.

I found out the hard way that there are sometimes subtle differences between year models.

Little things like screw holes and trim patterns.

Look hard before you leap.

EXT4ME said:
Look hard before you leap.
Thank you!

I'm seeing on Craigslist many people parting out GMT800 Suburbans, Tahoes, and Silverados. The interesting thing is I see some with cloth on the panels (mine don't have this), leather on the panels, and of even multicolor trims. All this, and I"m just looking for tan.

Still living with this. Have NOT been able to find a suitable 2006 Avalanche/Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Yukon XL/Sierra/Silverado donor.

My son has a 3d printer that can actually manufacture the part. Any idea what part number it is?  It is the white plastic thingy.

I'm guessing that if there is no number stamped on the  plastic piece, there is no part number, during manufacturing its probably listed as "attachment to door panel", if you have both pieces, there is no reason you should not be able to duplicate it, or have you thought about JB weld to put the pieces back together?

Didit

There is a number - 55920005##### - that I can read. The last five digits are illegible.  :mad:

NOt a part they sell since it is permanently attached to panel....

and these clips are the main load trabsfer when you grab the handle and shut the door so the fix has to be very strong which is why GM just makes peeps buy new door panels...

Keep looking and try here:
http://car-part.com/index.htm

Used parts listing from around the USA

What is the worse that could happen? Your son makes the part and did what he could with his resources. You'll both have the Father/Son moment, and if it doesn't work out, when he gets your rig, he'll be on track to get ahead of the shortcomings of odd parts that he'll be able to do more with in the future.

Take cautious care with your language as you discover his efforts didn't pan out. The 3D Pinter stuff is evolving technology, even as your Avalanche is. GM built it, but you are committed to keep it working and looking good too.

I suspect that if he spent more time in the Driver's Seat, his Door would probably not have failed in this manner. Then again, how many times have you taken this panel of and on? (I'm just kidding on both accounts, but you may be the first to report this short coming. That is not a bad thing)

Great resources on your Team! :love:  :B:

Does the Kid do Work on the side too?  :D

That exact same tab broke on the drivers door panel on my 96 Sierra.  I used 5 minute epoxy on it and it was still holding strong 3 years later when I sold it.  I would definitely look into using some type of adhesive while looking for a new panel.

I would have him make me one, but need the specifications.

I could use epoxy but lost the other half.  :beating:

I have a piece broken on my drivers door panel too. The part that holds the switches in place. I have considered trying to see if it is removable. If it IS removable then I only need a door panel that has a switch panel to remove the piece from... Don't need the same panel since I can remove the piece...  Just sharing because if it is the same issue you could go that route if you can actually unbolt your current one.

3d printed stuff is NOT going to work for you unless you have a production quality unit. I considered using one to make a small custom panel for my truck but was warned that the plastic will not survive the interior heat of our vehicles because it is only for prototyping.

If your desperate you could build a 3d copy and use it to make a fiberglass mold...

If you

Back