• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine mount mod..

Eskimo

Through a set of weird circumstances involving the painting of my new hood, I ended up driving a short distance with no hood on.  It was neat seeing the engine move a little as I drove, right up until I floored it.  Then the damn thing jumped up a few inches!  :eek:  So yeah, the engine mount is SHOT.  I've been feeling a bit of a 'thunk' when I floor it for a while now (and a gentler bump if I chop the throttle right after), so that explains it!

I got the replacement mount ready to go in (this should be fun), but was reading and the pickup guys have been drilling through the mount and running a 1/2" bolt through it to keep it from tearing again.  It's been a thing for a few years with them and no one has reported a downside, so I'm going to do that before putting the new mount in today.  I'll take a few photos to explain it better.

Just a note in case you find yours torn too.  (I have 120k miles now, but it's probably been torn for quite some time.  I thought it was steering/suspension this whole time!)  You can replicate this by leaving the hood up, putting the truck in gear, standing on the brake, then quickly floor the throttle.  If the engine rocks over or lifts up more than just a little bit, yours is torn too.  Usually it's only the driver's side, unless you make a habit of flooring it in reverse. ;)

You may want to check the tranny mount also.

mine is at the dealer right now having both mounts replaced.  i would have done it at home but its easier for them to do it on a lift than it would have been for me on some floor jacks and cherry picker lol. my truck has 180k miles on it

MS03 2500 said:
You may want to check the tranny mount also.

Transmission mount was good.

Since I had the fender liner out and good access to everything, I also took the opportunity to remove the broken exhaust manifold stud from the back of the #7 cylinder - 3+ hours, a broken EZ-out, and a bunch of cursing later, it was FINALLY out.  The quietness of the engine is worth it.  

I have a lift I could have used, but it wasn't bad at all to put the truck on 2 jack stands (just to lift the front a little), a floor jack with some wood under the pan to lift the engine, pull the fender liner, and go in from the side.  OK, my lower back is a little sore from being hunched over, but other than that.. ;)  (For anyone pondering doing this at home)

What a crap design.  All the torque of an engine under load is trying to pull the mount apart, and the only thing preventing that isn't the rubber of the mount, but rather, the adhesion of the rubber to the metal of the mount.

Attachments

• enginemount.jpg
    enginemount.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 81
bowtiesno1 you may not get a reply from Eskimo, if you hover over his name he hasn't been on the site since Feb 14,2018.

I did this to my 05 2500 a month or so ago. I only did the drivers side. Yep, just drilled a hole clean thru the center and put a bolt thru. I used an allen socket head bolt with a thin locknut. I used red locktight and peened the threads.

Back