• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Odometer rolled back?

jlckmj

Ok, ,I just bought my second avalanche, a '04 no clad.

I have a feeling that someone may have rolled the odometer back somewhere along the line.

My gauge cluster has been replaced with a silver one. I noticed that some of the parts houses sell new or rebuilt gauge clusters and they want the vin# and the current mileage before they will complete the order.
Is it as easy as that, buy a new cluster and lie about the miles?
Could someone put in a used cluster with lower miles and have the lower miles register?
I thought the mileage was in the ECU and was hard to change?

Thanks in advance,  Jim

NEVER MIND,

I found through a search that it is somewhat common (and easy) for the odometers to be reprogrammed.
I will have to get a car fax and look at the history to see if it has been done or not.

Thanks anyway, Jim

That is your best bet Carfax, you can change the cluster face real easy.

we just got our '06 from a car dealer in Illinois. I went to get plates here in Indiana. they said the title was "exempted". They couldn't figure out why. then they asked me if it had high miles. I'm ???

I looked at title no miles on any of paperwork. I figured they had dash replaced, then never claimed the mileage.

So now I have a truck with unknown miles on it.

jstain said:
we just got our '06 from a car dealer in Illinois. I went to get plates here in Indiana. they said the title was "exempted". They couldn't figure out why. then they asked me if it had high miles. I'm ???

I looked at title no miles on any of paperwork. I figured they had dash replaced, then never claimed the mileage.

(n) I am pretty sure this is how my old Jeep is.

jstain said:

10 years and older don't require accurate mileage when sold.

Back