• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Lifting by the pumpkin?

claylake

Any reason not to lift the rear by the pumpkin to do a brake job? A better jack point? I really should use jack stands but I am hoping to be in and out quickly.

All day long.  But you're right you should use jack stands.    (y)

You must use JACK stands... and are crazy if you do not...

Lift from Axle and place stand under shock mount is what I do.
Very simple...

your life is worth a lot and these things are HEAVY

ALWAYS use jack stands.

When things go bad, they go bad way too quick for you to react.

:eek:

And block the front wheels.

Being a victim of lifting an Av, not using stands...and the jack failing....use the stands.

I have lifted lots of vehicles using the pumpkin as a jacking point and never had a problem; prolly because THAT DAY I was lucky. The jack pad could catch on the read axle cover (if present, not all axles have them) as the load came down and bend it beyond use. Some covers are thicker (on older vehicles?) and would survive just fine.
There is a good fix for this; you could make a cross beam that would span the distance(s) between the axle tube/pumpkin joint to the shock mount area. The cross beam would be placed where the jack pad on your floor jack is located. There would be a "U" shaped rest welded in place on each end to cradle the axle OR you could go to Harbor Freight and get their floor jack that accepts their cross beam made for this purpose. Some of these item numbers are no longer available, I checked the various lengths of the jacks and I picked the 2 ton that had the longest handle and longest jack #68050. This jack has the longest lifting assembly and the longest handle of the jacks listed. I'm pretty sure it'll reach the rear axle without a lot of hassle AND it's 2 tons so as long as you're not lifting the whole truck you're golden!

http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-floor-jack-cross-beam-60762.html
Note the compatibility list for suitable jacks- To be used only with the following: Pittsburgh? item 60678, 60688, 60706, 68048, 68049, 68050, 68056, or 69227.

Lifting by the pumpkin is one thing. Has never been a big deal for me. But working under the truck with it perched on a single point like that.... and the fact that it's hydraulic & could easily fail..... thats crazy.

Go to Harbor Freight or get on Craigslist & get a couple of cheap jack stands.

The problem I see is the harbor freight one only extends to 37 inches so I only see it used on the frame. When you lift by the axle there is nothing to stop the truck from moving.

Two quick things in and out under a vehicle.
1; My uncle, slide under and out BOOM it comes down. Lucky
small person and kids home no real harm. 
2; I had vehicle supported but left jack up in contact.
BOOM the seal pops [harbor freight] fluid all over jack comes down,
safe do to JACK STANDS your call.

One thing I also like to do when I jack it up and put stand under is I slide the wheels under the frame depending on what I'm doing.

brokenoak said:
I slide the wheels under the frame depending on what I'm doing.

I remember my dad giving me that advice when he taught me how to change flats. As soon as you get the flat wheel off, slide it under the car while you work with the spare. This was also back in the days of the good ole bumper jack. Those things were death traps, laws of geometry dictate that when you expand only one side of a triangle, the 2 angles attached to that side decrease, causing the jack to lean in towards the car.

Been lifting vehicles for 25+ years that way... as mentioned tho, block the front wheels. Oh, and doesn't work real well on uneven ground :E:

AirJunky said:
Lifting by the pumpkin is one thing. Has never been a big deal for me. But working under the truck with it perched on a single point like that.... and the fact that it's hydraulic & could easily fail..... thats crazy.

Go to Harbor Freight or get on Craigslist & get a couple of cheap jack stands.

I have High quality Jack stands, I got a 3/4 ton F-250 with a 10.5 wooden camper, I wasn't about to take the camper off all the time (it being a Ford after all) so I got a 5 ton floor jack and 2 huge jack stands. Since the old days are over I got rid of the Ford but now drive only the BEST (GM) trucks and still use my floor jack and stands, never regretted it either..... (insert terrifying story here) Yeah get the right stuff! I have the cross beam (and jack that accepts it) from HF, it really doesn't make the lift any more stable, you're still lifting from ONE point (the jack)and if it's in the middle of the truck the truck can still rock; I like it on the side rails of the frame though, it seems like a more stable situation as there are 2 contacts on the frame. Getting back to safety of lifts, I got the floor jack at HF with the longest handle (and capacity I needed to lift my Avi) they offered to keep me out from under the back of the truck when jacking. I gave away my old floor jack to a guy that really needed on and didn't have the $ to get it. Jack story: Never buy that 1.5 ton aluminum "Racing" POS HF sells. I had one, the side pieces bent under a 83 Olds Omega, I was lifting ONE end of the car. When I showed it to the local manager his only comment was "Did you buy that warranty?" I was pretty shocked. I mean the point was it bent! I left it with him.

i've used 2 stands on the front frame rails and then used the jack to elevate the entire truck at the pumpkin while I cross rotated the tires.  I definitely would not get underneath it with only a jack because they can fail.    If your willing to take the risk without getting underneath it, it may be safe for you, but maybe not so great if your truck came down without wheels on it....  with an HF bargain priced jack, no way!    with a better quality one, its your risk, lol. 

claylake said:
Any reason not to lift the rear by the pumpkin to do a brake job? A better jack point? I really should use jack stands but I am hoping to be in and out quickly.

That is what my uncle said as the bug came down on him. He was luck my cousins were right there.
Did you see my post above???????????????

Back