• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Software...???

kc4pe

Getting ready to take a trip up North and noticed some of the new streets are not on my Navigating software.

So I called down to the local Chevy Dealer and service tells me yes we have new software for your 2013 LTZ.

But he could not tell me WHAT kind of software it was, but he did say it would upgrade the NAV to the 2016 issue. And when I asked will it do the entire car/engine etc...he did not know....

Now the girl who took my information and made the appointment said. "Install new software for the 2013 Avalanche LTZ...$95.00"

Is this normal?...when they do a software upgrade even tho I asked only for NAV, THAT THEY WILL DO THE ENTIRE CAR..???

The company that sells the disk on-line, told me that new software will be at the dealer by April 2016. So I am assuming that this is the new software...but wonder if it is software for the NAV and also new software for the car..??

-Bill In Georgia

get the disc yourself ..... all you have to do is put it in the slot and follow the prompts ...

95 to install is way way to high ...  it takes about an hour to do ....

Disc itself is about $150 ... I think

I found a place online selling the 9.0c 2016 disc for $49.  I'll get the link and post it.

From what I have been reading, the 2012 and 2013 models aren't as easy to update as the 2007-2011.

They 2007-2011 store a disk behind the screen in the NAV unit itself.

In 2012, they did away with the motorized screen and switched to the maps being stored on a hard drive, from what I understand? As well as upgraded the stereo interface and screen, and added two more buttons.

So in order to update the 2012 and 2013, you'd need a new program for the hard drive, but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that..

I am assuming it can be downloaded from a flash drive or and SD card, or something..

My 2013 needs updated as well, it didn't recognize half the roads on my trip to charlotte this weekend, so I used my iphone the entire way...  

Ya think they would make it so it can upgrade thru WI-FI or cell or their ONSTAR service or something simple so it is always updated...

What a mess...... called made an appointment as stated above...arrive at &:15 for a 7:30 appointment .. the service guy told me 1 hour..$95.00 dollars...at 10:30 three hours later I got worried, went to the desk and asked ..Oh!! we don't have the disk, so we can't update it.....
Well was not anybody going to tell me?/ Got a blank stare....and I left..

Never go to Legacy Chevy in Columbus, Georgia!!!

Now did the fellow who was finding the good price on the disk ever find out who the seller was??

-Bill

I just upgraded the NAV in my 2012 Cadillac SRX so it should be similar.. Purchased the 2 disk update from GM and they could not tell me exactly what it upgrades beside the Navigation if anything. But it took 90 minutes and you can't shut it off while it's updating so the wife and I went for a drive, took the long way through the foot hills and ran some errands, I drove while she ran in the store, post office etc. and I keep it running while it updated.

I could have done it at home but I was worried about running down the battery sitting there with the motor off, also could have hooked up a charger while it updated but hell, it was nice day for a drive..

There are different modes for different vehicles. I have read that newer vehicles have a 1 shot code for the disks too so they must have some type of writing capabilities.

The Navigation system for my Cadillac has a 40 gig  hard drive on it. From what I have been told it stores some navigation stuff on it, some software and music or video.

To update it requires the above mentioned disk ($200+ for the disk at a dealer...)

Might check out:
www.gmnavigation.com

They have some interesting stuff...

I will be hacking my Cadillac unit to see if I can figure out some things about it. The Cadillac units use Windows Mobile Auto but the Chevys use QNX based IVI system. One of my summer goals is to crack the Nav system that I have now. We shall see, I will be interning for someone that breaks systems for a living so he is more than willing to see how I get this going since he also hires others to work with him. I will be working with him to update and fix some software he uses to check for vunerabilities in software. Should be a fun project...

Oh I might have gotten a little off topic...

Rodney

Well the new NAV software came in, was made by Tom Tom for GM, cost with shipping $200.00....
Install ...They say 90 minutes, but mine clocked in at 150 minutes. I started the car, then inserted the first of 2 disks, but it rejected the disk 4 times before it finally did the "Hand Shake" bit.....I then put the ignition key in the Accessory position and finally after 3 minutes showed a download competition scale. After the first disk was finished it ejected and asked for the second. When completed it ask that I save the download, I did and that was it...

Now the smoke test .... I had to run down to the local Mall, just been in construction and completed about 5 months ago.
Starting up the Avalanche, I immediately noticed that in my own driveway, I was seeing a LOT more detail. In my trip to the Mall when I got 1 mile out I was surprised to see a pop up full graphic of the mall even showing all the parking lot stalls...I parked in front of Walmart, and sure enough it showed me in the 5th stall off the front left edge of WM...WOW!!!!

300 yards across the parking lot, but still in the lot, there is a Sams Gas Station, I asked NAV for the closest gas, and it directed me to Sams...and it did this by directing me across a private road....

200 buck YEA that's a bunch!!! ....  but if this detail keeps up it will be worth it..TOM TOM has always been a leader in the consumer GPS field and it's showing me why it's so good....

When you upgrade to the new nav disc does it change the look of the UI at all? I have a 2011 with original disc and it looks/feels very outdated compared to my garmin GPS. Or, does it just update the names/locations of things and keep the look the same?

I updated last summer ..... it is way easier than you think .... stick the disc in the drive ..... follow the prompts ... wait about 90 minutes and it is done .... updates the roads, towns .... street names ..... doesn't change the look ....

you can even stop and leave the disc in ... it will pick up where it left off the next time you start the vehicle .... I think, if I remember correctly, you will loose all your saved addresses .... I can't remember for sure but I'm about 80% sure they are gone ....

John

MoBlanche said:
When you upgrade to the new nav disc does it change the look of the UI at all? I have a 2011 with original disc and it looks/feels very outdated compared to my garmin GPS. Or, does it just update the names/locations of things and keep the look the same?
Yes more defined ..... sharper...when you can see the parking slots in a very larger shopping center...it's good!!

Sounds like it is similar to the Cadillac version in that it also updates your software version to the latest version. But only deals with the Navigation system.

Rodney

Back