• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'06 1500 Nerf bar Step Pad

jstain

I'm trying ot find a pair of OEM step pads, no cladding, LS. I found the GM part...dang they are expensive. Does anyone know of a place to buy used or after market?

I think I have the same nerf bars on my 05. The plastic step pads have pulled loose & won't snap down into place any more. The plastic pins are basically trashed. You can see in this picture where the rear piece is pulling up in the middle. I'd be interested in hearing how anyone else has fixed this.

I bet you could use 3M double sided tape (VHB) to secure those step pads. The tape has a red backing paper to it. As far as aftemarket replacement pads I have never seen them. Best bet would be a junk yard or online discount dealer or maybe EBay.

Vaeagleav said:
I bet you could use 3M double sided tape (VHB) to secure those step pads. The tape has a red backing paper to it. As far as aftemarket replacement pads I have never seen them. Best bet would be a junk yard or online discount dealer or maybe EBay.
I wish it was so simple. There is some space between the bottom of the plastic step pad & the metal cavity, probably close to an inch or so. I'm tempted to drill it all the way thru & use a carriage bolt or something.

I'm going to be in the same boat after I get my steps powdercoated.  The step pads will need to be removed and I already have a broken tab on one or two of them.

jstain said:
I'm trying ot find a pair of OEM step pads, no cladding, LS. I found the GM part...dang they are expensive. Does anyone know of a place to buy used or after market?
FWIW, i went ahead and bought spyder. They've been on for four or five years now with no issues.

PerfectReign said:
FWIW, i went ahead and bought spyder. They've been on for four or five years now with no issues.

Thank you all for responding. I'm not familiar with Spyder...is that a name brand? Got any pics?

here you go - My 5'3" beautiful young bride loves these as it was hard to step up into the truck for her. (I just sit down into the truck and never use them.)

av_Step_Bars_800.jpg

PerfectReign said:
here you go - My 5'3" beautiful young bride loves these as it was hard to step up into the truck for her. (I just sit down into the truck and never use them.)

av_Step_Bars_800.jpg

Thanks, OK I like those. I did manage to find some used step pads. But at $100 each ...and given the likleyhood they'll break I think I'm just going to R&R. I like the black...chrome inevitably just rusts...

Yea, I'm tempted to replace mine too. Just thought there might be a simple solution out there to repair the stock nerf bars.

with as many AV's out there you'd think there'd be some. I'm also considering looking at the suburban...maybe they are close enough.

Back