• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oh Me....Shade Tree Mechanics... Headlight Assembly

kc4pe

On a extended weekend vacation up in Knoxville, TN, I saw the State Patrol heading South, but was surprised when he was on my rear bumper with Blue Lights flashing....
"Sir your right running light is out!!!!
So where do you get it changed late Friday afternoon ...Put the NAV system to work and he found a Gas Station that had 4 clean bays, so...
Sure no problem was the reply...
Saw him at the computer and out he came with a forked tool, a 7 and 10 mm ratchet...he took off the top two screws and then stuck his hand down the back side of the ligh assembly and came up with 2 silver very fine threaded screws...
BUT when he tried to pull the assembly it would move/rock/tilt but would not drop out
Then he pulled the shield in front of the tire but did not do anything...
Then he stuck his hand down the back side of the assembly and came up with a burn't bulb.
Put on latex gloves and installed the new bulb...started AVY and all is good.
BUT..BUT when he tried to put the assembly back in place it was 1/4 inch off across the front lip.
After playing with it for 30 minutes, I stopped him and told him I would research it when I got home...
With an hours work he charged me $20.00 ... figuring he was the owner I slipped him 3 more bills.... still a buy compared to what Chevy would charge...
Now what are the 2 silver fine thread screws running up/down in back right side of the light assembly..are they locking/position screws...
I looked for a exploded prints on line but have had no luck..

Any secrets to the re-install??

Thanks

Bill-in-Georgia

Try this link,

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,66071.0.html

Back