• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Frame Rot - Broken Rear Lower Control Arm Mount

BigMacAttack

Hello,

I have a 2007 LT that is otherwise in great shape, except this just happened.  The driver side of my frame has heavy rust, but the passenger side has just a little bit of rust.

I am only 2+ years into ownership on this truck.  Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

The Rear Lower Control arm mount just rusted through and yo can see that it broke.  Upper mount is close behind!

I have a a guy who is going to try to weld another bracket on and clean up the rust + paint it.

Any tips/suggestions?  Or anyone to even commiserate with? :needhug:

VQdme_ukkji1hdzUDAeMO7Wdyd3JudGNk372kOsoivI2AHwR0mujx9vAsO6ESTUuQUza1xYq2UCw8bAoJYb8pKQdplU3mRuULDEzWopzrbsFuVo0sJgYdJw2UiTzznsz6ntUkzsy0AVZBX_438pLgAeiB1486et-XiVFxPHH9UY-CPTG4_jg9Wi0tTJ8fE3fpCnBTyfuproxSzd-Sa_Imq13DFFg466ZgCFMyeBYjD3kASBxyOWx-BUAK7UfM5qm-ElGt9tNjy2qlFohSZv0vjyE8-08iBJNCUWmZlj-6-XvwEzUnssVxo3LLJuGnd4AbzkmPGnhwQKvh8bzQdnjbFlflAPDrCvfQQO8r8OEkk4U1lVtekYzT6OvGuHWOL1KHuh-8i_WYsxTfjjzIdq20yAspOpTx_6sI5qF1w67U_7mwpbkx_yHqcsIQdWLCBo9qG3NRKwL2IlLR-I9mOMW1hUzn3QLoOxvkZUcYrNFstm6k8yaUgnTf6PkJWcFeRYB8xSYGBRiNwDkZaMuk6zmFP5ccBbQ8QAc-UR7_wW_ScLt6CiLljRGqzHprytJfd76=w1054-h790-no

Looks pretty rusty.  I started using Rust Bullet paint on my 03's frame several years ago but I've never seen it anywhere near that bad.

Yeah, it's ugly.  I am about 75 miles from the ocean, and the last owner was in Vermont.  But this looks, so I am told, that it looks like rust from cars that "live" near the ocean.

Only on Driver side...  Passenger side mount looks like this..
XBM6F_a-KacYUdXdQ0HOJn_bM_zgY2mUPy3EuWncbRcNLPak7IobfDesJLqd2qjpEbE-GYjIPV-3K6Y0cqqvFUvsMANVwtnDfKu4e-2iBHjT90TQGh55GN-ikqf1J32bvlMdFGrrUa6ICGVUXXxPVXjpvZZBif6-YNxi-HsGFjdwBRgfTcZOwHDxx1-e4oEEFbFGqBrA2H0I7X3BISkLLRG870-YCjVX_AChpWfdjuDypPCMUxbIwka6gn5-VY6ifIe2dBWwyo-PP9idWlGve9Z-k_njkQb1tAvsluSRxIZK-odbsyNLN0sWRCKRk8x38qNI889pbnx9Lxn0am2QUSQ7b0UHz4l2Om5ccDWX3fBA_TSC_XI92qCL4uw2mUEi4iE3Ft66A7mUaWNrWzg7NCIy9xfxYicCVc9hNNl66T0q31Zbv3GRNjLfk2um3aoGHeDI64DrpDeKzKqbAg29ryCD070kmg0PhYgWvRFuGJ7Y56gP2zViTNHY3O6o74alVFs8GXxVdhfGeu8PogdmmGcdC1b5coCef1FG_WiPM2MZXbHrB3rT9UyXuA_Iy32s=w1111-h833-no

My '07 doesn't have rust anywhere near like that, especially your first photo. The second photo looks a whole lot better and appears to be more surface rust than anything else. I wonder if something was ever done to the broken side, or maybe the rust protection was never properly applied. Any idea if it was at the ocean front up in Vermont? It's strange that the driver's side rusted out completely when I find that the passenger side being on the road side gets all the dirt, puddles, snow, salt splashed up into it.

My 03's never been as bad as your good side, although it probably would be by now had I not started treating it about every other year with Rust Bullet.

Vermont has no ocean front...

I know last registered owner in Vermont but maybe one of the owners lived in Hurricane Sandy area or some other area where it received flood damage? Maybe too the center of the road was salted/chemically treated heavier one or two winters?
If I was keeping that vehicle a long time I would inspect the whole underside and strip then treat whole underside to quality undercoating to prevent cancerous rust from further destruction of the AV.

enoniam said:
Vermont has no ocean front...

:laugh:

Apparently it was too early in the morning... my mind was thinking New Hampshire... stupid me!  :E:  :E:

Have you been able to fix this? I have the same model and year and the exact same thing just happened. Thing bounces around and clunks on every little bump on the road. I have contacted many shops but not much luck with anyone wanting to do anything with it.

needs to be cut off and new one made and welded on.

Try one of the fancy resto mod type hot rod shops... they love doing this stuff for $$$

Find a shop that only does welding. Near me is Bots welding. They weld school buses, semi tractors and trailers, dump trucks, if it is metal they can fix it.

Where are you from rsyrette, maybe someone can help you find a shop that can help you out.

Hello,

I have a 2007 LT that is otherwise in great shape, except this just happened. The driver side of my frame has heavy rust, but the passenger side has just a little bit of rust.

I am only 2+ years into ownership on this truck. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

The Rear Lower Control arm mount just rusted through and yo can see that it broke. Upper mount is close behind!

I have a a guy who is going to try to weld another bracket on and clean up the rust + paint it.

Any tips/suggestions? Or anyone to even commiserate with? :needhug:

VQdme_ukkji1hdzUDAeMO7Wdyd3JudGNk372kOsoivI2AHwR0mujx9vAsO6ESTUuQUza1xYq2UCw8bAoJYb8pKQdplU3mRuULDEzWopzrbsFuVo0sJgYdJw2UiTzznsz6ntUkzsy0AVZBX_438pLgAeiB1486et-XiVFxPHH9UY-CPTG4_jg9Wi0tTJ8fE3fpCnBTyfuproxSzd-Sa_Imq13DFFg466ZgCFMyeBYjD3kASBxyOWx-BUAK7UfM5qm-ElGt9tNjy2qlFohSZv0vjyE8-08iBJNCUWmZlj-6-XvwEzUnssVxo3LLJuGnd4AbzkmPGnhwQKvh8bzQdnjbFlflAPDrCvfQQO8r8OEkk4U1lVtekYzT6OvGuHWOL1KHuh-8i_WYsxTfjjzIdq20yAspOpTx_6sI5qF1w67U_7mwpbkx_yHqcsIQdWLCBo9qG3NRKwL2IlLR-I9mOMW1hUzn3QLoOxvkZUcYrNFstm6k8yaUgnTf6PkJWcFeRYB8xSYGBRiNwDkZaMuk6zmFP5ccBbQ8QAc-UR7_wW_ScLt6CiLljRGqzHprytJfd76=w1054-h790-no
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe LT on a driver's side broke just like the picture you are showing me here how did that turn out for you

Back