• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help with LED lights

houseofone75

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm sure not my last.  I am interested in changing out my stock headlights to LED lights. I was wondering what are the pro/cons of buying the conversion kit from say a AUTOZONE and buying the light bulbs, or is it easier to buy all new head light unit that fit my truck.  I have a 2010 LS.

Don't do it...

LED's have not reached the point where they are good for use in vehicles. Unless the optics were designed for them.

The biggest issues with headlights are related to the fact you will see lots of light up front but the distance is not very good and the light they put out is not consistant.

I put a pair of VLED lights in one of my fog lights and it is supposed to put out 2500 lumen. I had HID's in them and left one in place until I got a chance to compare them. While the HID is a 35 watt and should be putting out about 1000 lumen more the light pattern on the HID was much better across the whole front of my truck. I had splotches for the LED lights which I was warned about.

Nothing you do with LED's for headlights will end up better... HID in the lows is the way to go. I have an '03 and I actually bought JW Speaker projector LED's which have gotten great reviews. They are nice because of their optics. They are designed to work together. Haven't actually installed them in my truck yet because they need a complete rebuild of the bucket and I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Rodney

Well if it helps you csedwards1965 I went with a PIAA  Platinum bulb in my stock housing they have 4 smaller LEDs on each side of the bulb. They are still 4,000 lumens but the color temp is up to 6,200 so the light is easier to see. But I have a 2003. In houseofone75 defense sometimes newbies get a harsh reply to their post and don't come back.

I was hoping for a reply but I also needed a 10th post.
I am seeking a new set of lights for my 07 ltz for both the headlamps and the fogs. I read about some from super bright but haven't pulled the trigger.

Just 2 things to consider, measure to see if they fit the back of the bulbs are significantly longer than a stock light.

A normal headlight is 1000 lumens when you put in a LED that is 4,000 you have to be careful with the alignment

Back