• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Need to convince my father to let me get an exhaust

VIZIO 5

07 LTZ, I'm 17 and drive the truck everywhere,gas it,clean it but it's still my dads and he doesn't want me to buy a car/truck so I drive the avy to work and school and where-ever. I want to convince him to get the MBRP 5042al its 324.99 or something like that. Any ideas or advice?

VIZIO 5 said:
07 LTZ, I'm 17 and drive the truck everywhere,gas it,clean it but it's still my dads and he doesn't want me to buy a car/truck so I drive the avy to work and school and where-ever. I want to convince him to get the MBRP 5042al its 324.99 or something like that. Any ideas or advice?

MBRP S5042AL Aluminized Single Side Cat Back Exhaust System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U94FN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_QPFkxbNEW51C3
It's this one

Also I do have a job at a local Honda dealer detailing cars, so I do have income

VIZIO 5 said:
Also I do have a job at a local Honda dealer detailing cars, so I do have income

Advice from an old guy:

Dont spend any of your money on poop like intakes, exhausts, etc... you will regret it when you are older.. TRUST ME.  I know you wont be able to do it but SAVE that money... when you are older (like 30+) and have a nice car/truck of your own then you will enjoy investing into it.

intricate451 said:
Advice from an old guy:

Dont spend any of your money on poop like intakes, exhausts, etc... you will regret it when you are older.. TRUST ME.  I know you wont be able to do it but SAVE that money... when you are older (like 30+) and have a nice car/truck of your own then you will enjoy investing into it.

I've thought about that but I having a couple grand saved up, my dad just bought himself a 07 bmw 750i(crazy car)because I have the truck all the time. If I can convince him maybe we will split it or something it's the only thing I really want to do to the Avy give it a mean tone.

Even though I am old I appreciate your desire to mod the AV.
If the set you want is the one in the Amazon sale link I would think twice due to the fact it is an aluminized system with a 3 year warranty. If you only plan to have the AV for a few years and don't drive a lot in road salts it may last you but otherwise consider the fact that you may be buying a new exhaust system every couple of years.
Just my .02 but if i bought an exhaust I would consider replacing the factory stainless steel system with another stainless steel system with a lifetime warranty such as a Corsa Sport or a Magnaflow. It is a more expensive system but you would not have to buy another system.
Remember that any money you spend on a vehicle is money you can afford to see go down the drain since no matter how good a vehicle is it will depreciate over time and all the money you spend on it will not be recovered. You might be able to use it on the next vehicle you have or maybe sell it as parts but you would only get pennies on the dollar when you sell and you would have to keep the stock parts to reinstall at time of sale.
Only you can answer if spending money on a vehicle is going to be worth it since you are young and your needs and wants will change. In general, when a person is young they want to have the latest and greatest bells and whistles and they go through many vehicles. When older many settle down and don't mind driving a vehicle for 10 or more years and that makes it more affordable and makes sense to make it the way you want since you are going to live with it for a long time.
I know someone posted about saving for a college fund and that may be a good idea. Another one would be a car fund so that you can one day afford to buy a car on your own and not have a car payment. My father taught me many years ago to check and see what an average car payment would be and to save that money until I had enough to buy a new car. Then pay cash for the car and continue the "car payment" into a savings account and drive the new car until I could afford to buy another new car. That way you never pay interest which really adds up over time and you earn interest on your saving.

Thanks for all the great advice guys will talk with my dad and discuss, Will keep you updated.

Here's a thought that might make it more appealing to your dad. I've done this on a few vehicles including both my AVs before committing to a full system.
Cut out the stock gas tank size muffler and replace it with a piece of stainless straight pipe and a stainless muffler and clamp it in instead of welding, and utilize the stock overaxle pipe and resonator.  That way if your dad decides to sell, or wants it back ti stock, you can drop it out and only will have to buy 2 female-female couplers to put the stock muffler back in.
You can get a Cherry Bomb Vortex or Turbo series, or a Magnaflow 50 or 50 Delta and have a more agressive sound with minimal drone, stay fully stainless and be out the door for around $100 with the option of taking it back to stock if he wants, this sounds like a Win-Win to me.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sle-31059?seid=srese1&gclid=CP3eiaCR5MwCFRJZhgodI4wJXw

Do one of these for a compromise. The stock resonator get removed so it's a little louder. And it'll look better too.

Wickman said:
That is what I put on my Av, love the sound.

Yeah. I have a Corsa Touring and love it. Some days I'd like he Sport but it already screams pretty well with the Kooks long tubes and Y pipe. The "Charlotte..." Link in my signature is a video.

Love the Corsa Sport. What was the price and part number? Where did you get it?

V. Anthony said:
Love the Corsa Sport. What was the price and part number? Where did you get it?
For a 2006 AV here is info :
http://www.corsaperf.com/viewpart.aspx?year=2006&make=Chevrolet&model=Avalanche&partnum=14250&cfg=282

Back