• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007+ Thermostat Replace

Bigtrucklover

I mention the year, because I've heard they went from a one piece to two piece design for the new GENIV engines.

So I want to swap it out for a cooler stat.  What seals the housing to the block, an o-ring?  Can it be reused, or do I need to buy a replacement?

Do I need to completely drain the coolant due to the position on the block?  Or should I just put a bucket under the housing when I unbolt it, so I'm not completely wasting fluid (or will the same amount come out anyway)?  Last time I replaced a thermostat, they were still on the intake manifold, so just a little drainage from the radiator, and you could pull it, and then just top off the system.

The 07 have a 1 piece Tstat. The seal will need to be replaced.

As far as draining I would drain as much as I could, remember the hose that comes off the water pump goes to the bottom of the radiator.

Do you have a 07 or a different year because it may be different

Attachments

• 07tstat.png
    07tstat.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 55
I have a 2013. I heard the later years they went to a conventional 2 piece (thermostat separate from housing). By the looks of my replacement, I'm wondering if it seals both the thermostat itself and the housing. I stopped at Autozone and a housing seal is not available for my year. I'd like to be sure before I disable the car though.

I do not have a 13 but if you look at sites like rockauto it says the housing and THERMOSTAT fits 2007-2013.

Boy it has been a while since you changed one, take the lower radiator hose off.

To drain the block

Attachments

• 07uprad.png
    07uprad.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 44
To refill the block you have to take the bleed hose off at the throttle body

Attachments

• 07upbleed.png
    07upbleed.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 40
MS03 2500 said:
Boy it has been a while since you changed one, take the lower radiator hose off.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me they got rid of the distributor!  :laugh:

But seriously... they eliminated the petcock drains?  :mad:

Yep it has been gone for quite a few years.

Back