• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hope for the future - SILVERADO High Desert

mshagan

Sorry if i am repeating but thought everyone would like to see this.  Check out the link below on the new silverado High Desert

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/chevrolet-silverado-high-desert-offers-solace-for-the-avalanche-faithful/

Here's GM's answer to the new Avalanche, via a Silverado:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2017-chevrolet-silverado-high-desert-coming-fall-waterproof-storage

I don't like it as a replacement, but if I were to add a Silverado to my fleet, this would be a must have... Hopefully they'll offer that as a "drop in" mod

My only question is why they don't call it an Avalanche?  OK, the  midgate isn't there, but in almost every other way, it is a new Avy.

Cuhulin said:
My only question is why they don't call it an Avalanche?  OK, the  midgate isn't there, but in almost every other way, it is a new Avy.
In almost every way but the sail panels, It is a silverado  :laugh:

My reply in another post:

The high desert cosmetic upgrade has been discussed in other threads already.
The 6.2 motor and upgraded suspension would be nice but the bed storage looks like a drop in accessory that will eat up storage capacity, the sail panels are cosmetic and not needed, they will probably fade like our rough cladding parts,there is NO midgate. The storage unit would probably not allow for installation of a bed slide device either and that is on of the first mods my family would want in a new pickup or AV.

I was sitting in homeroom yesterday morning on my phone looking at the news when I saw this article on Fox News, Chevrolet Silverado High Desert is a hot homage to the Avalanche - Fox News
https://apple.news/AzCAWLnMqQXqGtSW0_d_6Vw

What do you guys think? I kinda like it.. ???

Been posted before in last several days......

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,149908.msg2136918.html#msg2136918

My reply in another post:

The high desert cosmetic upgrade has been discussed in other threads already.
The 6.2 motor and upgraded suspension would be nice but the bed storage looks like a drop in accessory that will eat up storage capacity, the sail panels are cosmetic and not needed, they will probably fade like our rough cladding parts,there is NO midgate. The storage unit would probably not allow for installation of a bed slide device either and that is on of the first mods my family would want in a new pickup or AV.

This is so strange, because I was driving to work one day this week looking at a new Chevy truck wondering why an aftermarket company hadn't come out with an Avalanche like bed cover with the sail panels.  Next thing you know I see it in online.  (y)

I copied this from GM-Trucks.com

"John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5/11/2016
Chevy has green-lighted the 2017 Silverado High Desert for a fall release.  Silverado fans may remember that the concept was first shown at SEMA in 2014.  Adding a refined exterior styling, an all-new cargo system that is lockable and water resistant and available Magnetic Ride Control suspension on High Country, the High Desert package will be available on LT, LTZ, and High Country trim levels.  That's two Highs if you configure it right.

Unlike the GMC Sierra, the Silverado has till now not been offered with magnetic ride control.  The High Desert will have a sharp focus on handling with not only the magnetic shocks, but also 20-inch wheels with all-season tires on LT, and tall,  22-inch wheels and all-terrain tires available on LTZ and High Country trim levels.

Chevy's High Desert will feature an all-new flexible, lockable storage system in the cargo bed. The dual side storage bins install over the bed, protecting your tools, and gear from theft and the elements.   The High Desert also comes with a three-piece hard tonneau cover and the tailgate locks with the keyfob. An internal cargo divider can be raised to secure smaller items, or lowered to access the full length of the bed floor.

No news on pricing yet, but we will bring that news when it is released closer to fall."

I'd instantly buy it if only there was a midgate included  :6:

You are on Avalanche #3 right now. Don't Strike Out.

And, You do have a Dear Wife too.

Let this thread run for a period of time, like about 12 or more months, at least to see what happens.  ??? That's only 6 months after next Christmas.  :D

In some ways I actually like it better.  Yeah there's no midgate but it looks like the bed is the 5'8" short box of the current Silverado/Sierra. That and since the bed is separate from the cabin,  running a dump style exhaust is doable unlike on the previous avalanches.
I had my exhaust on my 2014 Sierra dump out right by the spare tire, just over the axle not clearing the body line for better off-road capability.  If I ran the same style in my Avy pretty sure I would get exhaust fumes in the cabin. I really enjoy the bed side storage.

FullLock said:
In some ways I actually like it better.  Yeah there's no midgate but it looks like the bed is the 5'8" short box of the current Silverado/Sierra. That and since the bed is separate from the cabin,  running a dump style exhaust is doable unlike on the previous avalanches.
I had my exhaust on my 2014 Sierra dump out right by the spare tire, just over the axle not clearing the body line for better off-road capability.  If I ran the same style in my Avy pretty sure I would get exhaust fumes in the cabin. I really enjoy the bed side storage.
my exhaust has been cut off right before the muffler for 2+ years and I am pretty positive I don't get fumes int he cabin.

If I ever trade my Avy in for a brand new truck, this would probably be it. Grill mod would be 1st one installed as I don't care for the front end look. The fixed bed reminds me of a Explorer Sport Tack. I kinda laugh whenever I see one.

Cat Dancer said:
You are on Avalanche #3 right now. Don't Strike Out.

lol Every time I wash my Avalanche I start getting random compliments again. ??? The other day an elderly woman (and when I say elderly I mean someone who looked like she was in her 80s and could barely walk with her walker) said, "that's a pretty truck." And some guy wearing suspenders getting out of a huge RV called after me to tell me "that's a nice rig."

Ha. I'm keeping it for now. >:D

MLM said:
lol Every time I wash my Avalanche I start getting random compliments again. ??? The other day an elderly woman (and when I say elderly I mean someone who looked like she was in her 80s and could barely walk with her walker) said, "that's a pretty truck." And some guy wearing suspenders getting out of a huge RV called after me to tell me "that's a nice rig."

Ha. I'm keeping it for now. >:D

Same thing here too. I'm always surprised by the wide range of ages and gender that provide comments for this rig.  :eek:

I saw one of these locally... Muskegon, Michigan about 2 weeks ago.

So it makes me wonder if one of the suppliers in my area are actually building it.

Was going the other way on the Highway (US 31) and I happened to notice the newer style front end. Seeing the sail panels shocked me and I tried to turn around to get a full view but was during busy rush hour traffic.

Since I didn't get a chance to really get to focus on it I can't provide details other than to say I have seen one "in the wild". If I see one again I will be sure to get a closer look and take pictures etc. Might have been a display prototype model going between dealerships too for all I know.

Rodney

FullLock said:
since the bed is separate from the cabin,  running a dump style exhaust is doable unlike on the previous avalanches.

Mine has been short dumped on both my 1st and 2nd gen AV's for a combined roughly 9 years of ownership, and just like Wyo I've never had any issue with exhaust in the cabin.

wyotonka said:
I don't like it as a replacement, but if I were to add a Silverado to my fleet, this would be a must have... Hopefully they'll offer that as a "drop in" mod
I'm waiting patiently on that. I miss the saddlebags. I keep all kinds of stuff in there on the beater. Would be nice to not have to keep a basket under the back seat with quick detailer and stuff. We don't haul much so losing bed space shouldn't be much of a problem. The wife would like the dividable bed for grocery shopping. I've been to lazy to build a bed slide for the Silvy.  :rolleyes:

Back