• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Upgrade suspension for towing a travel trailer

guttersnipes199

Hi, I have a 2003 1500 Avalanche and purchased a travel trailer that weighs 5,615 lbs, I'd like to beef up the rear suspension so as not to rely on the trailers weight distribution so much. Does anyone have any experience doing this/any advice?

Thank You.

If it were me, I'd upgrade the front/rear sway bars.  Replace the stock stamped panhard with a stiffer Spohn bar. Add supplemental airbags to the rear coils.  And Bilstein shocks all around.

I would consider getting LT tires all around.

Per owners manual any to load above 5000 lbs you should use Weight distribution hitch.

Thanks everyone for your advice! What series of Bilstein shocks should I consider 4600 or 5100 series or is there another series I missed? I've used airbags on a Dodge Durango, but they popped after just a few trips. Would anyone have any experience with Timbren GMRG25C Suspension Enhancement System?

Thank You!

What series of Bilstein shocks should I consider 4600 or 5100 series or is there another series I missed? I've used airbags on a Dodge Durango, but they popped after just a few trips. Would anyone have any experience with Timbren GMRG25C Suspension Enhancement System?

Hi BigTruckLover,

What series of Bilstein shocks should I consider 4600 or 5100 series or is there another series I missed?

I had firestone air bags on my 03 and they were still on it when I got my 13BD, and yes I put bags on it also, between my WDH and the bags thats all I use and have had no issues, sorry to say but if your bags popped you had to much air in them, remember coil spring bags are not air shocks, they will not raise your bed at all, however they will stiffen the spring so as to not drop with weight added, such as a trailer tongue!  Best of luck

Didit

Are these the airbags you use? How much air do you fill them with?

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Chevrolet/Avalanche/2003/F4108.html?vehicleid=20031007288

Yep, thats them, awesome if you use em right, if I remember right 40 pounds is the max.  I did find out though, if you raise your truck just a little like an inch or so when you inflate the bags, it helps, I know  its a cheat thing but hey...........lol, yes pulling a 25 ft camper, if I remember right the loaded weight ran around 6500 pounds.  With firewood in the bed of the AV.

Didit

Thanks for the additional information DidIt! Nothing wrong with a little cheating...as long as you don't get caught...Lol

Back