• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Question about headers

avalnch

I'm putting a supercharger on my 2002 5.3 avalanche, I'm also putting headers on as well. My question is should I put longtube headers on or go with the shorties? .thank you for any advice you may have. Thanks guys

I did this years ago with 70k on av
still pulling with 150k on now
just installed new trans 3 year 100k warranty  parts and labor.

MyBigToy said:
With a supercharger you need the additional breathing that long tubes will give you.

Need is not the right word..

either will be beneficial.. long tubes will be MORE beneficial...

intricate451 said:
Need is not the right word..

either will be beneficial.. long tubes will be MORE beneficial...

So let's play semantics over my choice of words. :9: Did your post add anything constructive to the thread? I bet the OP knew exactly what I meant.......

I also had the Headers Jet coated I/S and Out.
This helps to move the heat out better. It defiantly worked since it then melted the tailpipe into cladding after years of running a magnaflow exhaust.

MyBigToy said:
So let's play semantics over my choice of words. :9: Did your post add anything constructive to the thread? I bet the OP knew exactly what I meant.......

Umm yes.. you just said "you need longtubes" so I did add value by making it clear shorty's will ALSO be beneficial which was not in your post at all..

wasnt being hostile.. relax man..

Also exhaust after headers plays into equation. See below good article
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-0910-gibson-short-vs-stainless-long-headers/

Shorty headers worked well with my Vortech supercharged 03.  Would long tubes have worked better?  Depends upon what you are looking for.  They would definitely give more top end power over shorties, but low end probably shorties are better.  With the Vortech being a centrifugal sc design a little help on bottom worked well for me.

Back