• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear shock extenders for autoride?

wakebdr

Just wanted to start a new thread so maybe it will catch someone's attention.

Previous problems in this thread: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,149410.0.html

Now we're at the point where the rear shock extenders don't work.  The orientation of the extenders does not line up.  We called the manufacturer and they said to simply rotate the shock, but that's not an option with the autoride shocks.

At this point, we're gonna see if we can get it back together without the shock extenders so I can at least have something to drive while we figure out what to do.  I just drive up and down the highway so I'm hoping it won't cause any issues.

If anyone has any ideas on shock extenders that will work with autoride shocks, please let me know.  Apparently the issue with these is just the orientation of the bolts.  (Shock extenders here: http://supremesuspensions.com/product/2002-2013-chevy-avalanche-rear-shock-extender-bracket-kit/)

My last ditch option is to rip out all of the autoride stuff and I really don't want to do that...time and money.  :E:  Oh, and I guess I could just undo everything that's been done and return to stock.  :E: :E:

They were able to get it connected without the shock extenders, but of course another problem.  The **** tires that I was told to get by the company that sold me my wheels are too **** big!  So now we have to get smaller tires and get that all fixed up.  When this is over I'm writing a thread about my experience and why you should never try to lift your autoride.  In fact, the first time one of those shocks goes out, I'm just ripping the whole thing out which is what I should have done in the first place.

Sorry you are having such difficulty.That can be a problem with any vehicle that you want to take to an extreme and think outside the box.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and combined with experience life teaches all of us the old adage "use the right tool for the job".  As you mentioned the other Av was a Z71 and that is a good starting point for off-road use. When you read up on the autoride system it is sold more for soft on road use with adjustments made to level things out with heavy loads or towing to give the owner a soft Cadillac ride.
Problem is most owners don't take their Cadillacs off road so parts are not made for that type of setup.
The Av is designed to be a "Swiss army knife" of vehicles and do many things well but it won't be extreme at any one thing. So I have learned you have to accept it's versatility but don't push it to extremes in off road, towing, people hauling, performance etc. or  you will be dissatisfied or have breakdowns. money can solve many problems but that is a problem in itself in that how much can you afford to spend on a vehicle that is just going to depreciate?
Hope your problems go away soon and you can get back to enjoying your AV!

Thanks for the kind words.

When I bought the truck, lifting it was absolutely the furthest thing from my mind.  However, I think I'm going through my midlife crisis now, hence wanting to lift it.  That, plus the fact that my boys love "jacked up trucks" got me moving in this direction.

I've got it home now with the old wheels on it until we can get the smaller tires in.  Still need to find the shock extenders, but at least I have something to drive.

I've had my truck with Autoride fully functional with my Superlift kit, which was designed for it. Its worked beautifully for 6 years.

highflyinbean said:
I've had my truck with Autoride fully functional with my Superlift kit, which was designed for it. Its worked beautifully for 6 years.

Strange, they don't list anything other than a 1.5" spacer on their web page.

Back