• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Love my AVY but have two issues.....

2dana

:help:
We've got a 2002, only owner, off the showroom floor (14 years and ~105k miles, told you I love it!) that has only 2 problems.
1] the wipers work fine most of the time but during a long rainstorm, they'll just stop! This is seriously scary - I won't let Mrs into it if it's going to be raining where she's going. When it happens to me, I've been able to get them going again by rolling the (turn signal mounted) dial back and forth several times. They start, then I'm never sure if they'll stay on or go off again. I've seen a couple other posts, but not my precise problem.

2] headlights, very similar issue - just that they don't come on at first. I turn on the fog lights to get rolling, then after 10 or 15 minutes of driving, they just come on. Sometimes, though, they do come on fine when I start up at dark. I took a small brass wire brush to the relay contacts and they were like new.....for about 3 days.

Not a lot a $$$ for any big replacement stuff, so any help to help me out of this would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks>>>>>D

I would be inclined to say your fuse block has issues, might try buying a new relay first and replacing one to see if it solves the problem. Relays can just get old (n)

For wipers could be the Cover to the motor which has electronics inside.

Thanks.... I'd heard about the wiper motor control box issues here. I think someone suggested clean up, dry out and a bead of silicone. Might have to try that.
Thanks for the reminder of old relays. The lights didn't have a problem until we'd been here for a few years.
Texas is hell on just about any electronics - I've seen green boards so corroded the diodes fall off with a gentle breath! The solder looks like it's one of those old "grow your own sea monster" kits from the comics!

dunno if this is applicable but the wipers on my '95 GMC S15 Jimmy would act erratically. I was told it might be the circuit board. Turns out this was a common problem with S10/15 and GMT-400 vehicles. Wonder if yours (though it is a GMT-800) falls into the same issue.

Since the interwebs were very slow and Excite! didn't give me many results back then, I had to find out by trial and error.

PerfectReign said:
dunno if this is applicable but the wipers on my '95 GMC S15 Jimmy would act erratically. I was told it might be the circuit board. Turns out this was a common problem with S10/15 and GMT-400 vehicles. Wonder if yours (though it is a GMT-800) falls into the same issue.

Since the interwebs were very slow and Excite! didn't give me many results back then, I had to find out by trial and error.

I too can attest to that.
Also have a '92 GMC Sierra, and the wipers stopped working properly a while back.
It's literally a 5 cent repair. Pull the circuit board out, and resolder the cold joints, and you are done!
Wipers work perfect now.

CarMech1969

Back