• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Spectre CAI clamp won't budge

wakebdr

I've got a Spectre CAI on my truck.  I was planning on cleaning the throttle body today, but am having a time getting the damn clamp undone.  I cannot for the life of me get the clamp that holds the tube to the throttle body to loosen at all.  It's not the normal hose clamp that tightens with a screwdriver.  It has a long bolt that tightens by going through two barrel connectors.  How the hell can I get this thing loosened?  I'm cranking on it so hard I'm afraid I'm gonna snap it off.

https://goo.gl/photos/jqKN9bsjz5358DkU9

Cut bolt in middle and then figure it out when you can see in your hands.

More than likley the threads are ruined. They look like Stainless in picture and Stainless galls very easy but hard for me to tell in picture

PS I call these T-Bolt clamp.

ygmn said:
Cut bolt in middle and then figure it out when you can see in your hands.

More than likley the threads are ruined. They look like Stainless in picture and Stainless galls very easy but hard for me to tell in picture

PS I call these T-Bolt clamp.

That's the only thing I could think of as well.  Off to the parts store.  Might as well replace all of them while I'm at it.

If you haven't cut things already you might try some penetrating oil or even a gun cleaning/lubricant like CLP to loosen things up. (not wd-40 though since it doesn't lubricate -in it's name it's for water displacement.)

Vaeagleav said:
If you haven't cut things already you might try some penetrating oil or even a gun cleaning/lubricant like CLP to loosen things up. (not wd-40 though since it doesn't lubricate -in it's name it's for water displacement.)

I actually haven't cut them off yet and may give that a try tonight when I get home.

Cut the bolt....
Do you see any threads on the head side of the nut? I can't in picture which means it was tightened too much for bolt and ruined the threads in the nut and is all galled up as they look stainless steel.

and stainless with break before coming un-galled.

Tech Tip next time put some STAINLESS steel anti-sieze on bolt to prevent galling.

Make sure for stainless steel bolts.... normal stuff does nothing.

Trust me we use a bunch of stainless hardware on some projects.
We have had hand tight bolts gall up when trying to remove.

Back