• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Lower tailgate seal salvageable?

igotzzoom

SM 2017
SM 2016
I know it's going to be hard to give an expert determination without pics, but I will try to give a description and see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I noticed the lower (U-shaped) tailgate seal has slipped off. It looks like it's kind of clogged with sand. I'm thinking a good squirt with a pressure washer to remove the residual sand, and just shove it back on there. Do you think running a bead of adhesive in there would help it stay put? Or would I be best off just getting a new piece altogether? Thanks.

I'd certainly try cleaning it out and reinstalling first.

I agree try to clean area and reinstall first.
If doesn't work then consider products from this company:

http://www.steelerubber.com/

Mine wouldn't stay on when I first bought the truck.  The PO hauled topsoil and it had filled up the seal where it attaches to the bed.  I used a flat blade screwdriver and got a lot of the heavy out of it and then used soapy water and an old toothbrush and finished cleaning it out.  After drying, a good squirt of 3M weatherstrip cement and it has been holding strong for 3 months.

Back