• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Memory Seats

HeavyD1977

Hey all... I have a 2002 Avy. The memory seats have never worked in it since I purchased it and hasn't been a big deal as I'm the only driver... until now. Teaching my daughter to drive so she moves the seat forward, up, sideways, 360... you name it, lol. And I can never seem to get it back exactly the way I had it and it feels uncomfortable... then I get used to it and then she moves it all around again and I start over. So my question is, do you think it's just the switch since the power seats, heat, lumbar, etc. all seem to work just fine? Or is there more to it than that? Anyway to test things? I don't want to just throw money at a new switch if the one I have is ok and it's really something else. Thoughts? And I hope I posted this in the right section... wasn't sure but this one had power seats listed in the description so figured it was probably the right area... thanks everyone!

Since I am not certain exactly how the 02's are configured, I can only relate what I know to be true on my '04 EXT.

There are two buttons on the driver's door, the rear most should be numbered 1 and the forward most should be numbered 2. (One of mine no longer has a number.)

With the truck running, set your seat, mirrors, a/c and even radio stations like you want then press and hold the numbered button on the door you want to program.

You will have to press and hold that button for several seconds (mine has gone up to 15 or 20 seconds) until you hear two beeps.

Next have the other person set up everything to their liking and then press and hold the other button until they hear the two beeps.

Now you have two different driver set ups programmed.

You use your key fobs, not the actual keys, to tell the truck which driver is going to be using the vehicle.

Since I have never tried, it may also be possible for each of you to just press the 1 or 2 button on the door to select which driver is going to use the truck.

Don't HOLD DOWN the selected driver button, in this case, since holding it down signals that you want to program that button, not just use the settings assigned to it.

The fob I carry, when used to unlock the truck doors, tells the truck that Driver 1 settings should be used.

The fob my wife has, when used to unlock the truck's doors, tells the truck to use the Driver 2 settings.

The keys themselves do not matter in this regard.

And the fob's driver number assignment is done at the time the fobs are programmed to your truck.

So you may or may not have fobs that have numbers silkscreened on the back AND if the fobs had ever been reprogramed but not in the correct order, the fob #1 might be seen to the truck as fob#2.

The fob number is assigned internally in the order in which you program the fobs and every fob you own must be programmed all at the same session.

You can't come back and program a new fob all by itself, because when you do, the truck will forget any other fobs you may own.

I hope this helps.

Maybe someone with an '02 will chime in with more precise information for your truck.

Here is what the owners manual says about my year. I've tried following the instructions but nothing happens... that why I'm wondering if it's just a bad switch or something beyond that.

2002_owners_manual_zpsag16qaol.jpg

DId you buy used or own since new?

Could be if the door panel was ever removed they forgot to reconnect the wire for them.

Try programming both 1 & 2 to your seat position..

TIp when programming... press set and release then press the # button... and release...

Test by moving seat forward a bit manually...

then press the nuber button... it should move back to what you stored...

Mine has worked since day one and no issues but it does not get a lot of use....

If you think it is switch I would remove door panel and test with ohmmeter....

I just had door panel off few weeks ago but I cannot remember how many wires for that connector but it is a small one that is right behind the window switch piece...

heck you can remove the window switch thingy... by lifting up or prying up and it comes free with 2 clips on outboard edge... it will have 3 connectors but behind it on clippped to door sheetmetal will be the connector for memory seats....

Good luck..

I bought it in 2014. It's never worked since I bought it. I did verify the wires are connected when I had the door panel off to install new speakers. I've tried the programming method and then moved the seats and hit the button to recall what I programmed. Doesn't seem to work. So to check the switch with an ohm meter, what readings am I looking for on the meter? Any specific test procedure? Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Not sure type of switch...

but normally they have Open circuit when not pressed which means the ohmeter will not show anything.

Then when you press it should go to 0.0

Also I would check every fuse underhood and on driver side of dash...

I use continuity (ohmeter that beeps) tester for those and put lead on each side of terminal while they are installed to ensure current can flow...

Otherwise I am stumped.... as you would be the first I ever read of the memory seat on 2002 not working... when everything else does...

Back