• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2" Lift kit Vs. 2" Body kit?

Z66Modder

Regional Coord.
SM 2024
SM 2023
SM 2022
SM 2021
SM 2020
SM 2019
SM 2018
SM 2017
SM 2016
SM 2012
SM 2011
So I have a non-Avalanche but still Chevy truck question:
My good friend in Texas has a 2015 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 4X4 diesel that he tows his 32' Pursuant Jet Ski (it's a boat but with 500 HP. he drives it like a jet ski). He wants to keep it out of the salt water as much as possible when on the boat ramp and needs a lift to use taller tires. Would he better better off with just a body lift kit or go the full meal deal? If he does a full lift does it void any drive train warranty?

Wow I'm blown away by the numerous replies to my question! 0

So talking with some of my 4x4 friends they a 2" lift of any kind is a waste of time, go with a 3 1/2" lift at least. Looking at this one: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/13085-silverado-2500hd-lift-kit.html

Tuff Country #13085

Has a Youtube video link for example install that looks fairly straight forward.

Z66Modder said:
Wow I'm blown away by the numerous replies to my question! 0

So talking with some of my 4x4 friends they a 2" lift of any kind is a waste of time, go with a 3 1/2" lift at least. Looking at this one: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/13085-silverado-2500hd-lift-kit.html

Tuff Country #13085

Has a Youtube video link for example install that looks fairly straight forward.

You're shocked about no replies?  I'm not.  What I figured is you gotta post that you've already bought the kit and putting it on your own truck, then wait for people to tell you how wrong you are.

But seriously, I personally dislike body lifts.  That truck should be able to run 35's with 4" lift.  My brother has a '12 with a Fabtech 6" on it and runs 37's.  It looks damn good and the Fabtech kit doesn't make you drop the torsion bars so they hang out under the frame.  

I'm not impressed with Tuff Country, but maybe that's because it's the house brand that Schwabs puts on trucks.

For that size, there's a lot of kits out there, but it looks like they all basically do the same thing: new UCA, and torsion keys, with blocks in the back.  The Fabtech kit costs twice what the TC one is, but that appears to be because it includes new knuckles too.

Also, with a body lift, the same amount of frame will get in the water as with stock, but the suspension lift will keep the frame higher as well as the body.

Finally, merely adding the lift of any kind will not void the warranty unless there is a failure and the dealership can show that the lift is what caused the failure, and then only the particular failure caused by the lift isn't covered.  FWIW, Fabtech has a warranty on drivetrain issues too.

Thanks for the replies. Will look into the other brand kit. And agree with a suspension lift.

If he wants to really clear some water definitely do a 6" suspension and 3" body lift, some people don't like body lifts because how it looks but it sure gives clearance for larger tires like 37's - 40's  (y) Anything higher than that personally I think is too much.

BTW, that link you sent: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/13085-silverado-2500hd-lift-kit.html is like a torsion bar lift with keys, it won't give you much clearance but it will do for now! I have tb keys as well, gave me about 2.5 leveling with the rear, but I also have a 6" suspension kit.

Good luck!

Body lift will only give you clearance for tires not frame from water. A body does exactly that, lift the body. So in this situation it will not help in any way to give you more clearance from the water as asked.

Back