• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Rear Defroster on 07 LTZ not working

newvision

So I turned on my rear defroster the other morning only to realize it wasn't working. Upon inspection of the rear glass, the passenger side terminal piece has come unsoldered from the glass. Has anyone had this happen or repaired it on their own?

Similar issue on my 04. Expansion of the rear window frame leads to cracks at the corners and places stress on the defroster solder joints. Haven't got around to fixing it yet, never really use/need the rear defroster. If I do get around to it, I will not be soldering straight back to the glass connection. I plan on using heavy gauge wire in a pig tail to make the connection, that will allow for any movement.

I tried using a solder gun to make the connection, but it was messy.  A heat gun and needle nose pliers did the trick.  Works like a charm!

Mentholized said:
I tried using a solder gun to make the connection, but it was messy.  A heat gun and needle nose pliers did the trick.  Works like a charm!

I was bored this weekend so I decided to try and tackle the fix and let me just say it did not go as planned.

After wire brushing the connection, I held the soldering iron in place, checking with solder every few seconds waiting for a good flow on the connections. About 30 seconds in to the job......

BOOM!! The rear window grenaded!!! :E: :E: :E:

New window is on order, should be in by the end of the week.

Well that bites.

:D :D
UPS just dropped off the new window. Company packed the heck out of it, took almost 10 minutes to get it out of box, Styrofoam, tape and bubble wrap. 30 seconds later it was installed.

Looks good, now I have the rear tinted window (mine had clear before), no blemishes, and the frame is all in one piece with no cracked corners.

$137 with free shipping, not a bad price for a brand new window.

137 bucks where did you order it from, heck for that price I'll get a new one instead of trying to fix my broken frame.

MS03 2500 said:
137 bucks where did you order it from, heck for that price I'll get a new one instead of trying to fix my broken frame.

Check EBay (search "Avalanche Rear Window"), there are several companies selling replacements made in China:

Condition: New
Brand:  TYG
Surface Finish: Tempered Glass
Manufacturer Part Number:  DB10062YPY
Warranty: Yes
Placement on Vehicle: Rear
Country/Region of Manufacture: China

And one selling a replacement made in Mexico:

Condition: New
Brand: Vitro
Surface Finish: Tempered Glass And Plastic
Manufacturer Part Number: DB10062YPY
Warranty: Yes
Interchange Part Number: 93439995
Country/Region of Manufacture: Mexico
Placement on Vehicle: Rear

Thanks I found it. (y)

I was about to put I strap on mine and JB weld it back together till I read this thread about them blowing up.

FYI with the dark tint rear window.
At night your gages and any dash lights will refelct in glass and can be a destraction when looking in rear view mirror.

that is why later they stop supplying dark tint rear glass and went to clear.

I had the rear window reflection of the dash lights with my old window, so no biggie there, used to it. At least now I again have glass for them to reflect in.

Mine is tinted too, I never noticed it. But thanks for the warning.

I found a factory tinted rear window on eBay a few years ago.

At some point, a previous owner of my truck had applied tint to the clear window that it came with.

I cleaned off the add-on tint and set that window aside.

I prefer the factory tinted window.

But I have a spare, just in case.

(y)

It's kind of funny, ygmn and I had almost the exact same exchange about rear window reflections over 10 years ago on this thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,51249.msg794232.html#msg794232

ygmn said:
I think the untinted window also lessens the reflections from the gages at night I bet....

Dalefan said:
Gauge reflections on the untinted window is also bad, but you get used to it. Worst part of the untinted window is the intensity of headlights from the rear in your mirror. Auto-dim is not that great and most of the time it is like a regular mirror. Been thinking of tinting my window to cut down the headlight problems.

I don't know, how tall are you guys I can't see the cluster in the rear window my body and seat blocks it. Now a do have a panel in the overhead console that I can see.

When mine quite working I was going to give soldier a try. But the frame broke before I got to it and replaced it.
I have the tinted and do not see the cluster. I see the radio and the HVAC controls. I was told this why the EXT had clear with the nav and other bling in the center.
Has anyone else had a problem with the preview on here. Fetching preview... never comes up?  

JVZL1 said:

Has anyone else had a problem with the preview on here. Fetching preview... never comes up? 

Naw not me, just post the image or pic and hopefully it comes out right.  :laugh:

Yeah we have a few problems.

JVZL1 said:
... I was told this why the EXT had clear with the nav and other bling in the center.

I had wondered why my EXT originally had the clear window and most of the first gen EXT's I have seen also have the clear glass.

The only option my truck did not come with was the NAV/DVD entertainment system.

I just have the normal Premium Sound System radio head unit that a lot of us have.

Glare at night has never been a problem and since most of my driving is done during the day time anyway, the darker rear window is preferable for me.

I always turn my NAV display off.

I use one of these rear widow graphic films that are made up of tiny dots and don't have a reflection or glare problem from inside or outside the cab.
http://www.vpwindowgraphics.com/products

(Installed on stock clear rear window.)

Back