• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avy Rear Window Storage - Not in Midgate

kilorich13

Has anyone come up with a creative solution for stowing your rear window in the bed somewhere?  I have a replacement midgate with 2 12s, so its not possible to put it there.  Would like to take the window out and roll with windows and sunroof open on those nice days.  May have to build something out of wood, but thought I would ask the experts first.

Thanks,
Dave

2002 Z71 Northface

I have not seen anyone with a sturdy rear widow holder posing on this site. I would guess it would be bulky and padded to protect the glass and your 14 year old glass could be fragile.
What has been done by some members is to make a wooden framed screen window to let air in and out. There should be several threads about that mod with pictures and info. Reason for the plywood frame is to prevent an electrical short in the rear window defogger system that a metal frame may cause. I believe they just left the glass in the midgate (which I know you can't do) or they left it at home on day trips.
If I was to make a setup like you want I might try making a padded plywood holder for the glass and put it in my bedcover storage bag and store it against the sidewall with the cargo points and straps provided on the bag. If you don't have a storage bag or it doesn't work out you might try same thing using a new model strap system from a newer AV with your homemade storage box.

You have my gears turning now... I have the same issue.  I usually just put the window in the seat, or of I have company, then lay it in the bed.  But what if.... what if I could actually have a place for it in the bed...

I heard some guys are using a 2 rifle hard carrying case. Fits the window perfect for storing it in the bed.

Back