• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Air only comes through windshield vents....

ARMYtango

Hey all...

I did a search through here and tried numerous tricks, but they still don't seem to work.

Last year at Nationals, I had the AC going in the truck.  While it was running, I got out and was messing around with some fuses under the hood (I had a tailgate bar wired in and it was giving me issues, so I was trying a couple of things to figure it out), at that time, I accidentally pulled the fuse for the HVAC.  I didn't think much of it and put it back in, but after getting into the truck, I realized I could no longer get it to blow out of any other vents except the defrost vents near the windshield.

I don't use air too much because I prefer the windows down, but with this extremely hot weather this week, I have been using the AC, and hate that I cannot have it blow out of the vents.

Did I screw anything up by pulling the fuse while it was running?  Any ways to fix it?

I tried the trick of pulling the fuse out for 30 seconds, and the one of turning the key on and off 3 times...but still no luck. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

try disconnecting battery for minute maybe to reset computer?

Sounds like the vent actuators are stuck...

I think there is a reset relearn procedure for those that have replace blend doors which may be helpful?

Did you turn the HVAC off before you did the pull the fuse trick

Sound like the diverter door is stuck. Try doing the battery make sure the radio and sunroof is closed if you have one. It may take a couple of times.

MS03 2500 said:
Sound like the diverter door is stuck. Try doing the battery make sure the radio and sunroof is closed if you have one. It may take a couple of times.

I will try that (no sunroof unfortunately...lol)
Thank you

ygmn said:

I think there is a reset relearn procedure for those that have replace blend doors which may be helpful?

MS03 2500 said:

Should the knob be set to vent when I do this, or put it at defrost since that is were the air comes out currently?

I understand that it has to be off, but I am not sure if when it does the relearn if it has to relearn back in the vent position?

When you turn it off it will go into the default setting(defrost).

Once you kill the power to it if will forget its setting, but when you restore power it will try to cycle the door(Full close to full open) to relearn the position of it. You should be able to hear this.

So try killing the power for ruffly 3-5 minutes when you restore power don't touch the controls until it does it. It will be about a minute

Ok...tried the battery trick...no luck....didn't even hear anything try to reset or relearn...

Any other ideas?

Prob one of the blend actuators gone, I need one or two on my 05.  Next project. 

ygmn said:

I had the same problem with my Av when I disconnected the battery to clean up and paint the battery tray.
Here's what I did:
Turn the fan control to OFF, and turn off the radio as well.
Disconnect the battery, and wait at least 5 minutes.
Then reconnect the battery, turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
You should now be able to hear the actuators cycling (sounded like faint whirring and clicking noises).
Wait until you don't hear any cycling anymore.
Then turn off the ignition, and wait about a minute.
Start the truck, and turn the fan on.
Try defrost, floor, and vent modes, and they should now respond appropriately.
If it does not work the first time, try it again.
I had to reattempt the relearn 2 or 3 times before it worked properly again.

Good luck!

CarMech1969

I had the same problem with my Av when I disconnected the battery to clean up and paint the battery tray.
Here's what I did:
Then reconnect the battery, turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
You should now be able to hear the actuators cycling (sounded like faint whirring and clicking noises).

Good luck!

CarMech1969

CarMech1969 - THANK YOU!!
This worked perfectly the 1st time I tried it.
just to add one note - when you connect the battery and turn the key back on - LEAVE THE AC off and keep it off until you start the vehicle, and then turn the AC unit back on. 
I wasn't very clear on that step, but assumed this was how to do it.  (I'm not a smart man!)

I feel like a magician.  Can't wait to tell my wife and boys what a great mechanical mind I have.  (not to mention our technicians at work who can rebuild anything, and they know I can't!)

sgallo said:
CarMech1969 - THANK YOU!!
This worked perfectly the 1st time I tried it.
just to add one note - when you connect the battery and turn the key back on - LEAVE THE AC off and keep it off until you start the vehicle, and then turn the AC unit back on. 
I wasn't very clear on that step, but assumed this was how to do it.  (I'm not a smart man!)

I feel like a magician.  Can't wait to tell my wife and boys what a great mechanical mind I have.  (not to mention our technicians at work who can rebuild anything, and they know I can't!)

Excellent! Glad to hear this helped  :B:

CarMech1969

CarMech1969 said:
Here's what I did:

Good luck!

CarMech1969
I'm glad you were able to help him with this, but as I read through what had to be done to get the a/c to work properly it makes me miss all the more the simple switches and levers from days of yore vs. all the unnecessary electric gizmos in cars these days.  IMHO, nothing, absolutely nothing, beats the beauty and simplicity of a switch or lever. 

frito said:
I'm glad you were able to help him with this, but as I read through what had to be done to get the a/c to work properly it makes me miss all the more the simple switches and levers from days of yore vs. all the unnecessary electric gizmos in cars these days.  IMHO, nothing, absolutely nothing, beats the beauty and simplicity of a switch or lever.

Indeed! Like the way it was on my '75 Suburban. Liked that truck a lot. I still regret selling it.

CarMech1969

Back