• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OEM brush guard install instructions

sommy36

Can someone post these on here. All the threads are old. Just bought one for my 2004 with cladding. I've searched the internet and gone to the dealer. Need to know where to cut the holes without recreating the wheel. Thanks

search this section many threads ask the same thing and some have posted GM instructions while others have posted how to do it.

I can email to you if you want as PDF.

Sir would you mind emailing me the .pdf of the install instructions?  I have check all the links and they have expired.  I?m a newer first gen avalanche owner and looking to  add a brush guard bought used thanks!
Dave

PghAvalanche said:
Sir would you mind emailing me the .pdf of the install instructions?  I have check all the links and they have expired.  I?m a newer first gen avalanche owner and looking to  add a brush guard bought used thanks!
Dave
I am making it so they will attach to this post.
2 page pdf not much too them.

Attachments

• Avy Brush Guard0001.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
I do have a question - why are they stating to remove the nut and bolt thru the tow hook? Could I just loosen the vertical bolt and slide the guard brackets into place? Thanks

PghAvalanche said:
I do have a question - why are they stating to remove the nut and bolt thru the tow hook? Could I just loosen the vertical bolt and slide the guard brackets into place? Thanks
because you need a new longer bolt in step 6.

Do I have to buy new bolts, or can I use the stock ones?

Edit: are the longer bolts the vertical ones? That makes more sense because adding additional bracket

PghAvalanche said:
Do I have to buy new bolts, or can I use the stock ones?

Edit: are the longer bolts the vertical ones? That makes more sense because adding additional bracket
you need new longer ones since the original brush guard kit came with them

I have no idea how long just remove one and go to store and get one about 10-15mm longer.

Ok, we are talking about the vertical bolt that goes up and bolts to the frame, not the horizontal that has the nut, correct?

PghAvalanche said:
Ok, we are talking about the vertical bolt that goes up and bolts to the frame, not the horizontal that has the nut, correct?
yes the vertical one that now CAPTURES and holds the bottom of the brush guard on.

PS after you remove tow hooks it is a good time to clean them and paint them any color you want.

I painted mine body matching light pewter metallic.

Or you could go get them chromed.

Ok great I was able to pick up M18 bolts about 10mm longer as suggested as well as necessary washers.

Why  do the tow hooks need to be removed? I thought the brackets get bolted on from the bottom

PghAvalanche said:
Ok great I was able to pick up M18 bolts about 10mm longer as suggested as well as necessary washers.

Why  do the tow hooks need to be removed? I thought the brackets get bolted on from the bottom
you put them back on as last step...

Soemtimes bracket from guard is bend and well you want tow hook out of the way.

Not a big deal.... just follow directions and it is simple.

As for the 1/2? holes into bumper guard for the 15mm bolts, I read the measurements from the midline to where the hole saw location will be, any tips on getting that all lined up correctly?  It seems if it?s not spot those bolts won?t line up into bumper

been way to long.. measure twice drill once.

DO it how it says....

notice where you end up drilling a 1/2" hole and you only have a 10mm bolt on the brush guard going thru this hole so they have alloed some error.

hardest part is putting those 10mm nuts on those bolts.

but again read instructions 2-3 times... and do have someone help you when instructions tell you too....

So we successfully installed the brush guard today with slight hiccups but all good.  Now that it?s installed i can tell a slight change in the drive. I?m guessing that?s normal being the extra weight in fro t, now does anything need adjusted to the front end now?

NO.... that thing does not weigh enough....

Does not mean you did not need maintenance and servicing of fronit end before you installed it though.

I had one of the OEM front grill guards for a while. It definitely vibrated & changed the wind dynamics of the truck. Also, I had to swap the tow hooks... move the one on the right side of the truck to the left & vice versa. Made them point the hook away from the gill guard brackets.
I've since gone to a Frontier grill guard & found it WAY stronger & NO vibration. Wish I had done it a long time ago.

It doesn?t shake, just feels ?heavier? on the front. I?ll prob replace front end sway bar links and possibly upgrade to a better shock

Sounds like your shocks are shot. But you should be able to notice that in other aspects too, ie; bouncing around on the road.

I've never been able to feel anything with only 75 - 100 lbs on the front of the truck. I have a receiver up there & carry a 275 lb jetski & the truck doesn't "feel heavier".

Not to sound like a broken record.  But I also just bought a factory brush guard.  And I am in search of the installation instructions.  I've found a few older posts where they were on (at one time).  But the links no longer work.  I'm sure I can get it without them but I'm sure it make it a little easier.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

PDF instructions are posted in the third post of this thread. Oh, and  :welcome:

also on page 5 of my gallery album:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=175&page=5

along with some other GM instructions.

It doesn't look like any of the posts still have active links, .pdfs on the installation instructions.  Nothing shows up in your album.
Does anyone still have a .pdf or written out detailed instructions ??

Thanks,
Tom

Back