• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best rear tweeter location?

ghost11

I searched the site and can't find an answer. It's a 2002. I have two pairs of 6.5 components and plan on mounting the front tweeters in the a pillars where the bose tweeter would be, and the woofers in the stock location. I plan on also putting my rear woofers in the stock location, but I'm not sure where I want to put the rear tweeters. Any help is appreciated.

I put surface mounted mine up high on door panel very close to hinge side of door to avoid being torn off.

Mine had angled mount towards rear a bit then I changed to straight.

Or get creative and mount on C piller behind and above rear seats maybe in corner?

Put mine in the c-pillar up high.

Or just don't add the tweeter to the rear...

Rear speakers are considered for fill anyhow and you are better off not running tweeters in the rear. Which I believe is why you don't normally find rear tweeters in factory vehicles.

Rodney

I don't agree with that Rodney, especially for the rear seat passengers.

I tried to find one last night but could not. Basically behind the c pillar cover is a bunch foam I cut some of the foam out so I could get the speaker in. I then use a rotary tool to cut slots the cover.

If you want to get fancy buy some cheap Suburban or Escalade  D pillar cover off ebay or your local junk yard and cut the speaker grille out of them  then transfer them to your c pillar

Found one from 2007

Attachments

• tweeter.JPG
    tweeter.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 45
MS03 2500 said:
I don't agree with that Rodney, especially for the rear seat passengers.

I do,
Having a rear tweeter or horn component will mess up the imaging. The rear drivers ARE more for filling up the rear for the rear passenger which in most cases, is not the important passenger in regards to the sound staging.
If you are after the best possible sound quality, you aren't going to want tweeters in the back. They will smear the image from the front drivers and will ruin the overall frequency response of the system.
If you feel that you must have rear tweeters, run minimal power to them and use delay processing on the front speakers to get the arrival times as close to the same as possible for the front passengers to avoid frequency cancellation.
Most tweeters have a frequency response from somewhere around 4khz to 20+khz. These frequencies are heard by the human ear very directionally. (your brain can process and tell exactly where the sound is coming from, compared to low frequency which has a wide angle band and difficult to identify the source ie, a subwoofer.) Placing any driver with a frequency response greater than 2khz behind the primary listener is only going to confuse the brain of the front passengers.
Such is the reason you see lower powered mid-range drivers and no tweets behind the front seats in competition vehicles, especially those competing in SQ (sound quality) classes. I have been in and around the completion scene for 18ish years and have never witnessed a competitively designed system w/ rear tweeters score well.

My Escalade amp has separate channels for the rear tweeter so I don't think it's a problem.

All the Bose Lux systems have them, it's a 7 channel programmable amp.

MS03 2500 said:
My Escalade amp has separate channels for the rear tweeter so I don't think it's a problem.

All the Bose Lux systems have them, it's a 7 channel programmable amp.

I agree that in your particular application that it is not an issue, Fully because you are, and correct me if I'm wrong here, using a Bose Lux amp from a vehicle w/ the Y91 or Y92 RPO code, more specifically a 2002-2006 Yukon XL, Yukon SLT, Yukon Denali, Escalade, ESV, or EXT. Most likely w/ one of these three part #'s 15114454, 15191601 or 15199992, which made up the majority of those produced during those years.

The beast that ghost is trying to tame is a whole different animal than you had. The 15114454, 15191601 and 15199992 were specifically designed and wired to function optimally and create an ideal sound stage in the interior cabin of a GMT800 vehicle and have internal channel delays of something like 34 and 45ms respectively for the front channels if my memory serves me correctly. This was done to eliminate frequency cancellation between the front and rear drivers. GM did all the math and gave you a product that functions ideally in your vehicle with the signal processing already completed from the factory.
Attempting to set up a system w/ rear drivers w/ a high frequency response curve can be very difficult to do without a signal processor that has an adjustable delay function and the proper equipment or at the very least a trained ear. I'm by no means saying that it won't sound OK, but cutting, drilling, fabbing, wiring, etc., not to mention the added cost of a component set over a single cone rear fill, or even a coaxial driver, to me, is certainly not worth the headache.
In regards to Ghost's original question, even though you already have the component set, If it were me, I'd set the rear tweet aside and just run the 6.5" driver in the rear. To each his own, and I can completely understand how painful it is to have decent equipment already in your possession and not use it, but I really think you'd be happier without

You are correct sir when I added the little tweeter back there it made a world of difference.

The bose lux headunit is digital and has no analog outputs the AMP is a DSP that is why I added the tweeter if you listen to a source that was recorded at a concert it's like you are sitting in the audience.

You can hear the vocals from the front and the audience clapping and cheers from the tweeters in the rear. It even made the little subwoofer in the console thump.

I'm not sure adding a tweeter to a stock bose system will enhance the sound, but the original poster asked so :dunno:

And I know they are not putting in a stock system in a 02. >:D

Back