• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Plasma Lights

BADalanche

Got some new plasma tubes lights for the black diamond. I like them because the are not real ricey. Check it scro:

More details please? How do the tubes act? Drl or on only when lights are one? I'm disappointed the headlight bulbs aren't led like the description says.

Are they wired so the tube is the DRL or have they still not figured that out?  I have the older u-bar anzo headlights and the running lights are still just the stock DRLs while the CCFL (or whatever) lights only come on with parking lights or the headlights.

(and I'm too stupid to figure out how to manually wire them to the DRLs)

Its crazy ive seen multple post on these lights. And not one solid review. Discription says led liggts but in reality they are stock heqdlight bulbs h7 i think. From what i gathered is the tube is run off the parking lights not drls.
eHawleywood said:
Are they wired so the tube is the DRL or have they still not figured that out?  I have the older u-bar anzo headlights and the running lights are still just the stock DRLs while the CCFL (or whatever) lights only come on with parking lights or the headlights.

(and I'm too stupid to figure out how to manually wire them to the DRLs)

moosc said:
Its crazy ive seen multple post on these lights. And not one solid review. Discription says led liggts but in reality they are stock heqdlight bulbs h7 i think. From what i gathered is the tube is run off the parking lights not drls.

Thanks, that's the impression I was getting as well.  Finally did some reading on wiring/diodes and gonna try to splice my u-bar tubes to the drl line this weekend to see how easy/difficult it is.

I like our factory headlight build and quality, so I will probably just buy the 60cm LED tube kits and add them to OEM lights.

Sorry didn't get back until now, been a busy summer. After several weeks, I gotta say I still really dig them. They do have a pronounced cut-off at the top when lows are on, but the light output is about the same as stock. High beams go way down the road. They came with osram lights which are good quality.

The plasma tube is connected to the marker (parking) light not the DRL. I was kind of miffed about this at first, but I actually think it is better this way (full sun washes them out). So they show up when lights are on, and (coolest part) when you remote start the vehicle. I really enjoy walking up on her lit up when I start from far away with the onstar app. The tubes are a smooth bulb more like a fluorescent tube than a led.

I did have to pull the front bumper off which was actually easier than I thought it would be (I replaced the scratched up bumper cover while I was at it). I also put in fresh bulbs for drl and blinkers. I kept my old ones just in case, but these are the first aftermarkets that look like an updated OEM to me. Think I paid 280ish on flea bay - and they have black ones that were a hundy more for some reason.

The black housing units have just a tad more OEM look to them since our original headlights are also black. Those will be the ones I upgrade to if I get the chance. Thanks for sharing!

blu_fuz said:
The black housing units have just a tad more OEM look to them since our original headlights are also black. Those will be the ones I upgrade to if I get the chance. Thanks for sharing!

I agree. If I had a dark vehicle, I would do the black, but I prefer these on silver. Im runnin lots of bright on my rig these days...

After getting some tips yesterday from ice9812 on how to improve these. I went on the shopping website to see if I could find some DS2 kits. Instead I found these for $70.

And they even had a free set of nicely encapsulated puddle lamps!

I figured I would give them a try since my $30 LED fogs are awesome. Well they work great without any cutting whatsoever. Just replace the back cover on the headlight housing with the optional one with the hole, and let the ballast hang out. They have a fan you can hear running, but it does not interfere with my head unit or amp. Judge for yourself (sorry for messy garage).

Before stock w stock GM housing

After with plasma housing and LEDs

Here is old shot of stock plasma lights with the halogen bulbs they came with last summer - look at he hot spots.

The hot spots are gone, and the whole wall is washed with light! Great improvement to these lights if you don't want to go all out. Have a 2 year warranty too. Ill keep you posted on performance...

Now my lights match, and the puddle lamps fit perfectly without drilling, and are really bright. WIN WIN!
(I was not paid by this company whatsoever)...

One more thing - the lights are DOT approved, and as you can see have the same profile as an HID set-up with sharp cut-off. Super stoked!

looking good

Took them out last night, and I do think they perform pretty good, but not great. You will still get better performance from an lower K HID retrofit kit, as these 6 temps tend to get absorbed more, but light up road reflectors and signs well (any shift towards blue is not good for night driving IMHO - especially in the rain). I prefer a nice 4.5K temp myself, and had the same issue with high temp HIDs. The brights use the stock halogen bulbs, and throw WAY down the road. I never got flashed...

Wow, I really like that the hot spots on the headlight beam are gone. If I run across some extra coin, I might try this. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing your lights installed made me really want a set of the black interior housing and I don't regret getting them last year. Nice looking lights.

IMG_6015_zps2eptp9tq.jpg

Yeah they are blu_fuz, and yours look great. I was OK with the regular bulbs they came with, as they did work well enough. I'm still not sure what I did wrong when I tried to replace the bulbs with regular Sylvania H7s, but I couldn't even see with them on (must of had them seated wrong)  I have now removed and replaced the housings 5 times over the past 8 months! It becomes so easy after that much practice - maybe 10 minutes a side (mostly my fault as I should have took my time and did them right the first time the bulb went out). There is no comparison to the look vs. stock. I love em...

Back