• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Assortment of Codes all at once

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
So I was driving today, minding my own business, and my 2008 LTZ decided to start giving me an assortment of warnings in the DIC.  This is what I got:

- Service Airbag
- Service Stabilitrack
- Traction Control Disabled

Around the same time I noticed it was also the truck started to shift kind of rough.  I was only traveling about 40kph down residential streets at the time.  I noticed I was in Auto 4WD, so I went back to 2WD.  The shifting went back to normal, but the codes remained.  The codes came in over a period of about 10 minutes.

I thought I would leave it over night and try again tomorrow.

My initial thought was that some electrical connection became disabled and it caused a number of sensor failures at the same time.  However I haven't the first clue where to look.

Any thoughts?

What CODES does it have?

I don't have a code reader..... 

Can you suggest a good one to buy??

Today it is only showing the Service Airbag warning.  I think this might be a dealership visit.  Even if it is a valid warning, I don't have the knowledge to fix an airbag.

Go to auto parts store they can read.

I have an INNOVA reader and have had it for .... many years...
sent it in for upgrade to read ABS & Body codes last year I think.

Others have some blue tooth thingy and use phone...
Many threads from many people describing what they have and used...

So many different brands and types of code readers... I would be crazy to tell you what to get...
I suggest reading about what all types have to offer and picking what you like best... or just hit up local auto zone or similar

I have a blue tooth thinky AKA (dongle) that plugs into the OBD port for my phone and PC.

The OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool is the interface, I would stay away from the wifi version too many compatibility issues.

I also keep a actron 9125 in the AV  but it's a basic reader and can clear codes.
I use Palmer Performance software with the optional GM enhancement software for the laptop
There several code readers out there so do your homework if you go that way as ygmn stated.

Thanks.  I ordered one.  Since it is just an Airbag code, I can wait a couple of days.  I haven't been in an accident for 21 years, so I hope I don't start this weekend.

Okay, so my code reader came in:

Very cool little device.  However I am not prepared for its power.  I was quickly overwhelmed.  Here is the download of what it told me.  This is just the high level.  Within each code there is some more data.  I have no idea what to do with this information.

The SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM is persistent and not going away.  But I can't tell which code here is causing that.  I'm not sure if there is a way to call up the history to show which code is more recent.

Note that I also got a service suspension system again today, but it tends to go away.  

I feel like this is a connection problem, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Any advice is sorely needed.

----

Last question - if I clear the codes now, is that a bad thing?  Can I assume if they don't come back it is a one-time oopsie?  Or would that assumption be a grave mistake?

Is the motor running OK, I have seen a few posts with similar codes and they turned out to be a AFM issue, But I'm not saying that is your issue so check the grounds and if they look good you may want to try the dealer.

Truck is running flawlessly. I've even towed a bit with no issue. I've noticed shifting is a bit rougher than I remember but not enough to be worried. Could also be my imagination.

I can check the grounds. It's a new battery from about 6 months ago. Are you just referring to the battery ground or are there others too check?  For what it's worth it has been VERY rainy here lately.

Should I clear the codes and see if they return?   Or is clearing them a bad idea?

Clearing the codes is not a problem at all. The ground wires I'm thinking of is on the frame under the drivers door

MS03 2500 said:
Clearing the codes is not a problem at all. The ground wires I'm thinking of is on the frame under the drivers door
same ones I was thinking, didn't know if they were the in the same location on 07+ also, check the battery and any added aftermarket grounds on sound systems etc. if you have any mods

Yeah the grounds are still there

All the codes I see on there say "History" which means something happened in the past to trigger them but whatever it was isn't triggering now or very recently.

Clearing them won't hurt at all especially if truck is running well.

MS03 2500 said:

Perfect.  This will give me a reason to use my new 4 post lift!

If all the codes say HISTORY, then why am I still seeing a SERVICE AIRBAG SYSTEM in the DIC everytime I start the truck?

SRS (airbag) codes are a little different they will stay there for 256 engine cycles. Just clear all the codes and see if it will come back.

BTW nice frecking Firebird, sorry I looked at your other pictures.  :-X

MS03 2500 said:
SRS (airbag) codes are a little different they will stay there for 256 engine cycles. Just clear all the codes and see if it will come back.

BTW nice frecking Firebird, sorry I looked at your other pictures.   :-X

The pictures are public for a reason.  Enjoy!  It is a hodgepdoge of stuff from three different forums.  If you have 5 or 6 hours to kill you can read my whole garage build thread on garage journal:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283853

I am working a bunch the next couple days but will clear the codes this weekend and clean up the grounds.

Thanks for the all the help!

JohnnieMo said:
The pictures are public for a reason.  Enjoy!  It is a hodgepdoge of stuff from three different forums.  If you have 5 or 6 hours to kill you can read my whole garage build thread on garage journal:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283853

I am working a bunch the next couple days but will clear the codes this weekend and clean up the grounds.

Thanks for the all the help!
I have read and drooled over your garage build several times  :love: And I know what you mean, my photobucket is a mess of 3 different forums  :laugh:

Lost communication codes would make me think there was likely a voltage/amperage glitch. I think I would try disconnecting the battery for a while first. I've been told, but cannot confirm, that if you touch the loose negative and positive battery cables together that will erase all of the learned settings. I'd do that, then reconnect the battery, then reset the codes with the reader BEFORE trying to start it.

The only other thing besides checking grounds that I can think of reading on the forum that could be a possibility is a bad ignition switch. It usually manifests itself as the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree but you never know.

MyBigToy said:
Lost communication codes would make me think there was likely a voltage/amperage glitch. I think I would try disconnecting the battery for a while first. I've been told, but cannot confirm, that if you touch the loose negative and positive battery cables together that will erase all of the learned settings. I'd do that, then reconnect the battery, then reset the codes with the reader BEFORE trying to start it.

The only other thing besides checking grounds that I can think of reading on the forum that could be a possibility is a bad ignition switch. It usually manifests itself as the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree but you never know.

SO I did exactly as you suggested.  I disconnected the battery, and let it sit for a while.  Then I climbed under the truck and cleaned up this ground connection:

Then I touched the battery leads together, and re-connected the battery.

Then I tried to reset the codes, but it seems my code reader will NOT connect unless the truck is running.  So I had to restart the truck then clear the codes.  The codes cleared successfully (according to the reader) but the AIRBAG warning remains.  It says no codes exist, so this airbag code must be something my reader cannot see.

I think I'm going to need to take this to a shop :(

wyotonka said:
I have read and drooled over your garage build several times  :love: And I know what you mean, my photobucket is a mess of 3 different forums  :laugh:

Thanks :)  It has been a year long project and it is still not even done.  I'm at about 92% completion now.  It is nice to finally start working on other projects again. 

My photobucket is a mess of CAFCNA, Tige Owners and Garage Journal.  I get them confused sometimes :)

So just to wrap this up - I took the truck to the dealer.  Their scanner pulled off a code mine code not:

B0084-39, R/FRT IMPACT SENSOR INTERNAL FAILURE

They replaced the right front SIR discriminating sensor and that fixed the issue.  All in about $350 CAD. Light is gone.

Back