• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 MPG?

502BigBlock

Ok so admittedly I've only had my 2013 AV less than a week, but I'm just curious about driving tweaks that might help improve MPG.

I read another post here that ended in 2009 that suggested trying turning off Stabilitrak and turning on (?) Tow/Haul mode. Does that sound like an experiment that has worked? I have a 25 mile commute one-way to work, 85% highway, 15% city driving.

Reason I ask is I wasn't expecting more than about 15-16 average MPG from my AV, but I wasn't bothered by it, either, because I previously drove a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 that averaged maybe 16-17 mpg.

Thanks and feel free to direct me to some other thread if this post belongs somewhere else... ???

Drive it like an old man and you'll do fine!  I get about 21+ on the highway and usally 16 or so in the city, overall average is 17.6 mpg on mine. 

Didit

Try to stay close to stock tire/rim size and weight and make sure you have them properly inflated. As stated above you need to drive the AV like an old person and be easy on gas and brakes for best MPG.
Don't fall for marketing hype on CAI etc. since most owners with CAI and sporty exhaust tend to punch the accelerator to hear the noise and destroy their chance at better MPG. When on the highway try to keep speed down too since the AV is not very aerodynamic and high speeds will create drag and MPG will go down. Since the AV is 6,000 lbs + it is not a good platform as an economy vehicle.
I would also avoid a leveling or lift kit since it would put the AV up into the air-stream and increase drag.

Just be thankful you didn't buy an EXT or a 2500 AVA.

We aren't allowed to speak of MPG.

:laugh:

I can break 10 mpg on the highway when I'm not towing  (y)

Didit said:
Drive it like an old man and you'll do fine!  I get about 21+ on the highway and usally 16 or so in the city, overall average is 17.6 mpg on mine. 

Didit

I'm in this category since early this year. My long distance driving had diminished considerably and with just the local driving, lots of hills and such, I'm lucky to get 13+. Not a big deal as I barely do more than 200 miles a month.

I used to pay a lot of attention to my driving and could generally stretch out my fill ups to 1 per month. I know, letting the tank get down below 1/4 is not advisable, but I've been diligent with using stations of good repute without issues.

Now, I'm barely 1/2 tank down at 25 days.

In the winter, during my once or twice per week commutes to the resort, 190 mile RT, 7.5K elevation change, I only use 8 gallons. That works out to 5 gallons up and barely 3 going down.

My Avalanches have always liked the wide open road compared to just around town.

I went to Nationals in Charlotte NC from home back in July, and traveling 77 all the way down I averaged 19.4mpg.

After driving around in a 60/40 mix city highway for 3 days, I was down to 16.9mpg.

Then on my way back home I got back up to 17.6mpg for the whole trip.

That being said, since then the AV has had a mix of roughly 75/25 city/highway and mostly running back and forth from my house to town (2 miles) and back. I am now down to 15.1mpg

I do have a RANGE module that disables the AFM though, so it does cost me a little bit of mileage.

I would say if I reset my fuel milage and did my normal driving for a week, it would range between 13-15 give or take.

I will have to reset it and check it sometime.

I have a 2012 and currently 15.7 mpg as calculated by Fuelly.  I find that the DIC can be off by as much as 1 mpg when compared to x miles traveled  / y gallons consumed.  Also don't drive without the 3 panels in place.  Drove one week without them and lost 1.5 mpgs!  Also tried the pulse and glide technique and it added 1 mpg.

So yes drive like an old man but occasionally flex it's musclear if you don't have AFM disabled.  I heard that most that had issues were the ones that always drove it like old people.  (Wait am I now consisted a old person? :needhug:)

Didit said:

Heck, I am an old man and I still get 15.3/15.6 daily, LOL

I was getting low to mid 19s. now that I've put the 26s on it's dropped to 17.7-17.9

Does anyone buy for mileage with this type of truck?

Average about 14 around the city and 17 on highway. 
OK so the average speed on highway is 75 :D

Well, I wasn't expecting my 2004 EXT to get much worse mileage than the 1999 Suburban that I traded in, but it does.

:laugh:

My 2010 with a factory 6.2L will get 22.4 mpg (Canadian) so about 18.6 US MPG...that is doing 70mph with cruse on when ever possible.

Calculating MPG at fill-ups... not using DIC for reading; have not calculated city mpg as I know it's not not going to be great. Also I have factory 22" wheels.

BTW the 6.2 gets better mileage than my 03 with the 5.3  :eek:

took mine on a road trip sunday n got around 18.3mpg.... didn't buy it for mpg...got other SUV's for that....

When I got my '13  I was expecting an increase in mpg over my '03.    nadda...  10 years of technology and improvements and the difference in mileage is not even noticeable...    If theres a difference its 15mpg and 15.0000001mpg

Maybe the difference only applies for long highway trips (which I usually don't do in the Avalanche)

20 to 21 on the highway and 17 to 18 mixed city mountain and freeway on both my 4x4 2007 and 2013 AVs. Above 65 MPH, MPG goes down fast. K&N air filter helps slightly.

Back